The Great Divergence
(10-23-2010, 02:13 AM)kandrathe Wrote: I think now is a great time to buoy up our melting pot nation with an infusion of new immigrant enthusiasm.

I... agree.

... well, okay, surely there's something to disagree with. Like this:

Quote:Nothing will help balance the wage inequality more than opening our borders to encourage those who are energetic and seeking a better opportunity to come here and become new Americans.

New migrants will help a lot of things. Inequality is not one of them. If you bring in the rich and educated, they contribute to raising the top end. If you bring in the poor and uneducated, they bring down the bottom. And it's not exactly like the US is swimming in spare middle class employment.

Practically everyone wins with increased migration. But some win more than others.

-Jester
(10-23-2010, 01:39 PM)Jester Wrote:
(10-23-2010, 02:13 AM)kandrathe Wrote: I think now is a great time to buoy up our melting pot nation with an infusion of new immigrant enthusiasm.

I... agree.

Um, yeah. Kind of at a loss what to do now. Wink

-Jester

Volunteer? Angel
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Have you all solved the "problem" yet?

No.

I have a different view on what sort of "problem" is being addressed in the series. However, this afternoon I am not feeling my eloquent self, so I'll perhaps comment on the series in a few weekends. Been doing a lot of stuff on the weekends that take me out of the house, in the community and elsewhere.

As to who and how and where the money flows, I'll leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fiercefreeleancer

The game is rigged. I declare a fool anyone who thinks it isn't, and moreso whomever believes that the game will ever be made "fair."

The key is to finding a "fair enough" balance point. That is very hard, without breaking the game board, and without trying to achieve the illusory condition of "fair" as an end.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete