Cubing Cruels
Ok, I'm trying to cube a cruel mythical sword here with the 3 chipped gem recipe. So I bought a mythical sword from Larzuk. Just wondering about the liikelihood of getting cruel and other tasty mods. What factors are included in the cubing?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
As far as I know, the most important factor is the ilvl (item level) of the sword being cubed. For monster drops, this is determined by the clvl of the monster that dropped it. It is a bit different for vendor purchases, but anything purchased from Larzuk in Hell mode is high enough to get the cruel affix, if you use the right sword, as not all can get that affix.

However, after that, you are facing Murphy, who himself is cruel and capricious. I have squandered hundreds of chipped gems and have yet to make a cruel sword - the best I have done is a ferocious with no suffix. So patience and luck are the main factors.

For more detailed information, look here:

http://www.marduke.com/bnet/d2/stats/chipped.html
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

As a pastime, my gem mule has been working on a colossus blade for about two months (maybe upwards of 500 cubes). I figured, why should I waste all these chips I find? On my second try, I got a Cruel (%210) Colossus Blade of the Ages -- but I was an idiot and didn't stop there and thought "Hey, if it's that easy I can probably get a CCBoQ, just as easy." Naw, not in my lifetime. Now, if I get any "Cruel" prefix again I'm stopping, and perhaps if I get "Ferocious" with a good second mod. Colossus blades, and Mythical swords come along more frequently than good sword cube recipe results.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I have my wife do the cubing (she doesn't play, but I think she's lucky).

I have not spent countless tries doing this, but have managed to make 5 cruel swords with this recipe. Each has started from one purchased from a vendor. All told, I have probably cubed less than 100 times. I've never farmed for gems, just use the ones my new characters find (since I don't believe in rushing).

My first was a Cruel Mythical Sword of Vengeance, 240%. I also have made several colossus swords/blades:

210% (no suffix)
295% (no suffix) (this traded very nicely a year ago)
237% (no suffix)
273% (no suffix)

In addition, my wife made one for my brother, a 225% (or so) of Winter.

Purchasing a Cruel is also not difficult, I have bought one of these (and only got one socket from larzuk... grrr) for a merc weapon.

However, at least with my experience (with either cubing or shopping), it is quite difficult to get Cruel and something useful unless you devote a lot of time to it. YMMV. Good luck!
Well, guess I'll try my luck. Never could buy a good cruel weapon from Larzuk(although a lot of cruel Bastard Swords :)) Well, time to break out the chippies!
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Ahhhhh! You make me scream. :) I guess there is good luck, and then there is the kind I've been getting. ;)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

For shopping quickly, I get a high level character without enough str and/or dex to equip an elite version of the item I'm looking for. This way I don't bother to inspect anything that isn't red. It makes things go much faster as you don't check out that cruel crystal sword or the long war bow of [insert lame high level mod here].
Ack Kurgen

I love to buy Cruel Myths for my Necro's Golems. I love to Triple Shael them and make all the MH users go absolutely NUTS.

But factors, well, for cruels, you have it covered. If you can buy from Larzuk, you can cube the cruel. Unless you are below clvl 53 I believe, but by that point you cannot get a Cruel, and if I am mistaken take my head.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil