Video Modes question
I just upgraded my computer cecently with a GeForce 4 4400.

So I switched the video mode in in D2 to direct3d (It was origonaly running in directdraw)... and it looks horrible! Its just blurry!! I double checked my video settings to make sure that I did not have FSAA running(It wasnt). I'm running in 800x600 and direct draw just looks all around better. I also noticed that in direct3d mode that black lines will show up in the background objects and on the user interface... has anyone else experienced this?

for now I have just switched back to directdraw, as it just plain looks better.

so to recap anyone else running in D3D have these problems?
Signatures suck
1) Did you try it with FSAA? It may or may not cause/solve problems, but with that card it can certainly handle itself frame-rate wise on D2.

2) Are you using the latest drivers? Try updating your Detonator drivers to the newest version. If you still have this problem, you might want to go to the newest 3x.xx level drivers (instead of the 4x.xx).

I haven't had any of these problems running D3D, and I'm using a highly inferior GeForce 2 MX (actually the weakest link in my system).
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
You've definitely got a driver issue there with the black outlines. I've seen it on other cards, but I don't know the exact setting for your geforce.

Get the latest detonators first, if that doesen't help, I would check out a tweaking program to play with some registry settings, one of them ought to fix it.
well I have driver version 40.72 the newset ones are the 41.09 so I'll download those. though I cant see it making much of a difference. but I will eat my words if I'm wrong :)

And as far as making registry tweeks I have no Idea how to do that. hopefully it wont come to that.
Signatures suck
this is the the game in d3d see how it blurry and also the black lines on the wagon and on the interface?

here it in in direct draw looking all prudy like.

I'm still downloading the the newest drivers. 56k sucks... I just wanted to show you all what I was talking about.
Signatures suck
those 41.09's did the trick... I cant belive it. I honestly didnt think getting new video drivers would change anything. since my other drivers 40.xx were just a few months old.

oh well!! thanks all!
Signatures suck
nVidia had major issues when the 4x series was released. Some of them are still there, which is why many are still using the 3x series. Personally none of my games have problems with the latest 4x, so I stick with them.

Just remember, when you have issues with sound, video, and even input (mouse/joystick/etc) to a lesser extent, always check the drivers first.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I'm gonna take these images down now that I have the problem fixed.
Signatures suck
You're not the only one who had problems with those drivers - and I'm sure you appreciated the 16 meg download no more than me, either. This driver set gave me problems with other games too - despite nVidia's reputation for quality in this department.

In retrospect, it doesn't seem much of a surprise that this was a problem; the purported 25% speed increases must have come from somewhere <_<
I see from the other replies that you fixed it with a newer driver version. Howerver, my wife has the same issue, and the new drivers didn't help. I fixed it by turning off the ansiotropic filtering (it wasn't AA, ansio is supposed to help with image quality, AA just affects edges), and it cleared it right up. This is just an FYI if anyone else sees it with the newest drivers and the new drivers, as I understand it did a fair bit of stuff with the ansio filtering.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
It started doing it again. I havent changed any of the settings on my comp either. I guess I will mess with my anso filtering to see if that does something.
Signatures suck