Mlvl and Qlvl confusion
Tonight I traded my friend for a Cranium Basher that dropped in our game from an imp on the frozen tundra (although I was not in the game at the time it dropped). From the information on diabloii.net, Cranium Basher has a Qlvl of 91. But there are no super unique monsters that hang out on the tundra.

Is there any definitive listing of Mlvls? Different sites have different information. Darkness, for example, lists Nihlathak as 95, but I believe I've seen Nihlathak listed as 98?

Can a random boss have an Mlvl higher than 90? Is the Cranium Basher Qlvl really 91? Am I missing something yet again?
LavCat,Feb 24 2003, 09:50 AM Wrote:Tonight I traded my friend for a Cranium Basher that dropped in our game from an imp on the frozen tundra (although I was not in the game at the time it dropped).  From the information on diabloii.net, Cranium Basher has a Qlvl of 91.  But there are no super unique monsters that hang out on the tundra.

Is there any definitive listing of Mlvls?  Different sites have different information.  Darkness, for example, lists Nihlathak as 95, but I believe I've seen Nihlathak listed as 98?

Can a random boss have an Mlvl higher than 90?  Is the Cranium Basher Qlvl really 91?  Am I missing something yet again?
All random bosses (as well as super unique ones) get a +3 bonus to their level. Similary all champions get a +2 (Or is it +1?) bonus to their level. Nihlathak is indeed level 98. His monster type (which never exists alone,, only as that special boss) has a monster level of 95. Since he is a superunique boss (due to existing in the data file for super unique bosses) he get the +3 level bonus and ends up with a monster level of 98. Darkness (whatever it is) seems to have forgot about the boss bonus. As for the best list of monster levels, the games own data file (monstats.txt extractable from the patch mpq) is the best source, although perhaps not easilly to look at although it is relatively easy in excel.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Many Thanks!

By "Darkness" I meant the monster information site linked to by diabloii and lurkerlounge.

I decided I needed to educate myself, and I spent a couple of hours wandering around the Phrozen Keep and other sites. I now know next to nothing (as opposed to nothing) about MPQ files. I hoped to download an MPQ extracting program to get at the .txt files: first I had to hold my nose while reading gamespy's privacy policy, then I was totally defeated when I tried to register to download.

Too bad no one has written a comprehensive guide to the mechanics of DII. I would think it would only be two or three years' work.
Many Thanks!

By "Darkness" I meant the monster information site linked to by diabloii and lurkerlounge.

I decided I needed to educate myself, and I spent a couple of hours wandering around the Phrozen Keep and other sites. I now know next to nothing (as opposed to nothing) about MPQ files. I hoped to download an MPQ extracting program to get at the .txt files: first I had to hold my nose while reading gamespy's privacy policy, then I was totally defeated when I tried to register to download.

Too bad no one has written a comprehensive guide to the mechanics of DII. I would think it would only be two or three years' work.