Magezon build... on a sorc?
I've read about many people using fire and lit damage on their sorcs with piercing bows and exploding arrows and such along with masteries to deal some pretty amazing elemental damage. well, i was thinking, how do the masteries affect the chance to cast skills like meteor on hellmouths? with a high fire mastery, and the explosion radius of a kuko's exploding arrow, would the meteors spawned by hellmouths actually pack a punch? seems like something interesting to try....
I too have wondered about the effectiveness of the 'chance to cast' items combined with masteries for a sorceress.

I have the suspicion that they don't make any difference. I have a melee sorceress who sports gloves with a 'chance to cast' nova on attack. But I cannot tell if the nova damage is augmented by her lightning mastery.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

It is and this was one of the earlier tests of masteries affecting non "casted" elemental damage. Usually when you can't tell if it is helping it is because the spell level being casted is not more than 5. The biggest problem with using hellmouth or whatever on a sorc who uses their masteries to boost outside elemental damage is their lack of IAS.