LoD and CD2 Differences
I have found that there is almost no information on D2C anymore. IIRC there were many changes in LoD that were not applied to classic and I am considering playing a hc classic ladder character once 1.10 comes out. I was wondering if some of the old builds are still effective that were toned down in LoD and such. Even though I played classic I cannot recall much as I have played LoD almost exclusively. The differences I'm more concerned about are not the stash and items, which are obvious but differences in mechanics and skills.
If we are talking about D2C 1.09, then I think the mechanical differences are as follows:

1) Blessed Hammer is still physical

2) Whirlwind is not nerfed by weapon speed

3) Static field does not have any HP limit

4) Old blocking formula, which is not based on dex.

5) Not sure on leech/crushing blow, seems likely to change though, would look into that.

As far as data goes, monsters have less experience, hp, level, ar, etc. than in LoD, though it's not always the same as earlier D2C versions either.

Elites, exceptional+ sets and uniques, the many new affixes, aren't going to drop.

No giving your hirelings items. Not sure about ressurection.

And obviously, no act 5 or those two classes...

Hope that's it. Really not that much of a difference mechanically. Most of the item files have a "version" column which disables a lot of items from appearing in classic games.
FoxBat,Apr 17 2003, 11:03 PM Wrote:1)  Blessed Hammer is still physical
... and, for blessed hammer, Conc works with 50% of its original ED value.

As for different monster stats, in classic only the AC, level, exp and hp are lessened (check d2common 2BEEh :) ). In LoD, the difference is the +50 global physical resistance.

That's the only thing I remember, FoxBat summed it up quite well.
The other thing I noticed is that your merc dies all the time. And in any event they can't wear equipment or cross difficulties

FB, are you sure about Whirlwind and weapon speed. It may be my memory playing tricks on me but I thought they fixed that before LoD
Nope. The weapon speed was changed in LoD. I seem to recall the damage of Whirlwind being lowered at low levels also, but I am not sure about that.
Also, the blocking formula got changed before LoD. In CD2 now it got changed to the Dexterity Formula.