absorb
I can think of three ways that absorb could work, just off the top of my head:
1) counted as resistance, but not affected by the cap and of course counts as double
i.e. 20% cold resist + 20% cold absorb = 20 + 2(20) = 60% cold resist. So a 100 cold dmg would actually do 100*(1-.6) = 40 hit points lost.

2) absorb used before resistance
i.e. 20% cold resist + 20% absorb; hit for 100 cold dmg
20 points heal rather than harm, leaving you up 20 hit points and w/ 80 dmg points left, which would then be resisted 20% so you get hit for 80*(1-.20) = 64 dmg. So overal you get hit for 64-20= 44 hit points lost.

3) absorb used after resistance
i.e. 20% resist + 20% absorb; hit for 100 cold dmg
resist counts first, so you're hit for 100*(1-.2) = 80 dmg points. Then absorb uses 20% of 80 or 16 dmg points to heal you instead. So overall you take 80-16 dmg but are also healed for 16. End result is 80 - 32= 48 hit points lost.

A final thing: I've been informed that absorb won't work if you have full health. So a one shot kill WILL kill you, even if you had 50% resistance and 25% absorb.

Any help will be appreciated.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Hail Gekko,

Resistance kicks in first, then absorb. Also, yes, you must have some life to heal before absorb does anything: after all, if it restores life, and you're at full life, what is there left for it to do? ;) You seem to have the right idea, but my mathematical skills are exceptionally low this early in the morning: you could have said 1+1=4 and I'd just nod :P
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Tommi has a nice write-up on Absorb versus Resistances.

It can be found here:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Apr 22 2003, 12:58 AM Wrote:Tommi has a nice write-up on Absorb versus Resistances.

It can be found here:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/
Yes, more specifically here:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/absorb.html

And the whole picture of damage modification effects is here:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/damagereduction.html

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
You can ignore this, its just one of the design decisions that I just don't get. If you're bored, feel free to read on though...

Can someone explain why the calcs are done this way: (from Tommi's site)

(1) Damage Dealt = Damage * (100 % - Resistance) * (100 % - Absorb%)
(2) Life Gained = Damage * (100 % - Resistance) * Absorb%

In (1) I just don't under stand why the %Absorb modifies damage dealt. I know that is how it works, but having it work like Damage dealt is simply isn't simply damage*(100% - Resistance). Then you gain back whatever life you would from the absorb. I realize that we only have the one Blizzard programmer or designer (that I know of) who posts here. I mean, you resist some, and then you absorb some. The way it is absorb works basically like resist and absorb combined. That never made sense to me even if they wanted to make abosorb not just be equal to resists. (And for those who didn't read Tommi's page that damage is the same number, it isn't modified, which is why with 50% absorb you basically have 100% resist... Assume 0% resist, 50% absorb take 100 damage:
Damage Dealt = 100 * (100% - 0) * (100% - 50%) = 100 * 1 * 0.5 = 50; Life Gained = 100 * (100% - 0) * 50% = 50; So you lose 50 then heal it right back read Tommi's site if you still don't follow). I still don't think it should logically work that way. I still think it sould be, you take 100 then heal 50. Maybe I am missing something as to why it was done this way.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Apr 23 2003, 02:22 AM Wrote:You can ignore this, its just one of the design decisions that I just don't get.  If you're bored, feel free to read on though...

Can someone explain why the calcs are done this way: (from Tommi's site)

(1)    Damage Dealt = Damage * (100 % - Resistance) * (100 % - Absorb%)
(2)    Life Gained = Damage * (100 % - Resistance) * Absorb%

In (1) I just don't under stand why the %Absorb modifies damage dealt.  I know that is how it works, but having it work like Damage dealt is simply isn't simply damage*(100% - Resistance).  Then you gain back whatever life you would from the absorb.  I realize that we only have the one Blizzard programmer or designer (that I know of) who posts here.  I mean, you resist some, and then you absorb some.  The way it is absorb works basically like resist and absorb combined.  That never made sense to me even if they wanted to make abosorb not just be equal to resists.  (And for those who didn't read Tommi's page that damage is the same number, it isn't modified, which is why with 50% absorb you basically have 100% resist...  Assume 0% resist, 50% absorb take 100 damage:
Damage Dealt = 100 * (100% - 0) * (100% - 50%) = 100 * 1 * 0.5 = 50; Life Gained = 100 * (100% - 0) * 50% = 50;  So you lose 50 then heal it right back read Tommi's site if you still don't follow).  I still don't think it should logically work that way.  I still think it sould be, you take 100 then heal 50.  Maybe I am missing something as to why it was done this way.
Technically, you heal first and then take damage.

To your philosophical question about absorb: it's a cool ability right back from AD&D. Remember Rod of Absorption, which you could use to nullify spells AND to use them as an energy for your spells? Thus, in this sense absorption has always both nullified enemy damage and added to your combat abilities. If it worked as you think it should, it might be labeled "X% of damage goes to life" or something.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
I know this is a stupid question (but yea...i haven't been on LL as much as most people.....before I even signed up for an acct here I was just a very VERY casual lurker - ie i didn't read much of anything except what was specifically something I was looking for .... due to using a school comp to do it.....which displayed everything nearly illegible).....but back to the question.....who's the person who was a "Blizzard programmer or designer"....there's quite a few people on here who seem to know a great deal about the actual grit of the game....so it's hard to pick them out of the pack.....(there are quite a few of people of Jarulf's caliber....just less well known :D)
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"