MOVED: New patch~!
As it is, I think a maphack may not be detectable. The data containing map information is sent to the client regardless; a third party program could just I/O sniff and have all the data it needs. Check me if I'm wrong here, but I think there are map hacks that work this way.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
Hi,

Ouch! Trying to read that black text made my eyes cross.

Use your cursor to select it, and it becomes real easy to read. Although why he did that is beyond me. ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Yes, as I understand it, Blizzard cache's map information in order to make client movement smoother, then all they need to synchonize is the movement of objects (monsters, characters, arrows, etc) within the map. I'm suggesting that all network traffic be encrypted and remain encrypted in the cache, including the map information, then unencrypted as it is needed by the program. In order for a map hack to work, the hacker would need to steal the unencryption algorithms. That is a proveable copyright infringement.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I guess we can most likely stop argueing about how Blizzard can stop maphack...because from what I just heard on the Phone, they simply won't!

The exact sentence that sort of pulverized my hope of a cheat free realm was: "We do not think that programms like D2Accelerator or Maphack should be considered cheating, they are simply an enhancement to make the game more playable for certain people"

First: I only asked about D2 Accelerator and not Maphack...which makes the Answer sort of strange
Second: How on earth can those two programms be treated as equals regarding the cheat potential...which enhances the strageness of the answer

Ah well, maybe this is not the ultimate truth as I spoke with the German Hotline which is great for leaked information but sometimes a bit of track on other things.

Result: I guess the chance of Maphack being closed out by 1.10 -> 1%

Sad greetings Dave
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
I don't know about the US, but in Norway you are allowed to crack encryptions on stuff you have bought.
We had a big case going against some random geek who created a program to remove encryption on DVDs (DeCSS), and he won the first round in court. Second round is scheduled in December, but as of now what he did is considered legal.
Big question is of course if the higher instance will change the first ruling or not.