Defense roll vs missile when running
We all know that when a character is running, there is no defense roll and the attacking monster gets an automatic hit that scores all of the time (100%).

The question here is whether it is the same when the character is running and is hit by a physical damage-inflicting missile, or if the defensive roll is active. (This roll is the usual 100% * AR/(AR+DR) * 2 * alvl/(alvl+dlvl).)

This came up during some pvp match of mine. Can anyone confirm this? It is my impression that indeed my pvp barbarian can skip a few arrows of multishot, even running.
Defense is set to zero even against missiles when you are running I believe. What you are experiecing is probably the fact that any single target can only be struck once by a wave of multishot. If you are moving fast enough, it can appear that you just ran through several arrows, when in fact the first one in the wave struck you and basically immunized you against the others.
Zath,Jun 18 2003, 11:13 AM Wrote:Defense is set to zero even against missiles when you are running I believe. What you are experiecing  is probably the fact that any single target can only be struck once by a wave of multishot. If you are moving fast enough, it can appear that you just ran through several arrows, when in fact the first one in the wave struck you and basically immunized you against the others.
Actually when you are running the chance to hit part is completely skipped and the game treats it as an automatic hit. This does not matter if the attack is melee or missile.

Zath's explanation seems like one reasonable case for not getting hurt. Another would be that the shot was blocked. I would assume that in these PvP matches that you are using a shield. Remember that while running the blocking chance is 1/3 of its normal value.
Yeah, I was using a shield. It looked to me as if I was getting out of the various multishots unscratched more than 25% of the time (1/3 of max block), but then again, it's been a while since I pvp. I'll try and check this out again at some stage. Could also have been some desync.