Fire skills and CE?
When speculating over my CE necro, i came to wonder about if CE benefits from fire skill items like magefists and rising sun. AND items like Ormus' robes that say +15% to fireskill damage?

And something nice to add would be the staff Mang Song's Lesson that can add -15% monster fire resistance. But ive looked through all the new 1.10 items and beside fire facet jewels, these 2 are the ONLY general items that affects fire damage. There is a few more, but they are class specific. I wonder if they wanted to curtail too heavy fire boosting? Considering CE is half fire damage.

But a blowmancer isnt very +skill intensive, not needing +skills to enchance his damage output, it only improving duration and radius of amp, and radius of CE, so im thinking its a far better choice to go for mana per kill items, like Skull Collector staff, that beside adding a healthy 20 mana per kill, also adds a good dosage of magic find.
- fire res should help. And I can say for sure that fire mastery (as granted by Trang Oul's) improves the damage of CE in 1.09 (tested with a Sorc and Corpsemourn). Magefists almost certainly do not work - the question is the difference between "+% to fireskills" and the +% to fire damage from FM. Whether this adds damage to CE or not - who knows? I'm not in a position to test it ATM, maybe someone else can.
How were you able to determine that firemastery helps? As CE gives no numerical variables to throw around.
Average number of deaths per corpse over a long enough amount of time? Should be enough, as long as you use the same monsters (Normal cows come to mind as a good test place).
If Fire Mastery helps, then so should any % fire damage enhancing items, because as it stands now, Fire mastery and the % enhanced fire damage are the same thing, and are additive if you have both.
This is slightly off-topic but does anyone know if the Assassin Death Sentry skill (the Corpse Explosion bit) is identical to the Necro CE? Does it do fire damage?

And if so is the damage affected by +fire skills? The other fire traps certainly are.

-davcol
Hacked SP char with ridiculous amounts of FM, doing one hit kills on non-resistant monsters using the players command. When you can do one-hit kills with a non-scaling CE in players 3 and above, you know that something is increasing your damage.
Yes it is the same as CE AFAIK. Yes, FM should improve it. Not, +fire skills will not add skill points to it. It's classified as a lightning skill. Note that this is also why I'm wondering about whether +% to fireskills will work on CE. Is it the same as +% fire damage, or is it only to "fire skills" as chaosen in the same manner as magefists + to fire skills?
Yes to the part fire, part physical damage, like CE. I have killed PI's with it.

Not sure if masteries help it out.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Sounds curious if its counted as a lit skill. It should be tested if a sorc with litmastery gain a noticeable killrate improvement when using CE charges. Or if it would be affected by lightning adder items, or even lit resistance reduction stuff.
Now this begin to sound like a possible bug or oversight if its lit damage actually.
One with full physical resist gear and max fire resistance/50% absorbtion only, should be able to tell if they take damage from it.
Or they would get unhurt if they focused on lightning defense instead.

Have anyone noted if death sentry is flagged as a lit skill too?
It may be in the Lightning branch of the Traps tree, but it is not a "pure" Lightning skill: that is Lightning Sentry, CB Sentry, and the uberskill Shock Web. :lol:

Given that it does Lightning/Fire/Physical damage, your question is, IMO, excellent insofar as figuring out how it is and is not "the same" as Corpse Explosion.

My own observations: Wake of Inferno DOES accrue + Fire Skills. I have not seen same in 1.09 for Death Sentry when holding the Unique Shamshir (but I may not have been paying attention). I will look at my trapper tonight when I get home.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Have shockweb become good? or was it just meant in jest?
Shockweb have become real good. :)

And fun.

-davcol
Care to give an example?
Hmmm... not sitting where I can run D2 so I can't give you damage figures.

But I'm working on my second 1.1 trapper (learning from the mistakes of the first) and in both cases I've found Shock Web useful well into Normal. It also enables you to function almost immediately as a Trapper. I've done almost no melee with either char. Though I have sucked mana pots like a fiend.

Give me a few days to see how the second one works out. I'm putting more points into Shock Web this time.

-davcol