Unique items
Could the following be implemented:

Only one unique item can be equipped at any time.

That would give some meaning back to the word "unique", while allowing to have powerful unique items without fear of breaking the game balance.
Yes it is very easy in the mods. Change the uniqueitems.txt field carry1 for an item from a zero (or blank) to a 1. That is how they made the two charms such that a palyer can only hold one at a time.

BTW it is also possible in the modded games to also allow individual uniques to spawn more than one time per game. This was not not with any of the items in the 1.10beta though.
First, thanks for the answer. :)

But I'm not sure we're talking of the same thing.

What I meant was that if a sorc for instance is wearing a Stone of Jordan, then she won't be able to equip an Occulus or a Harlequin Crest. Only one unique item allowed among the ten equipment slots.

Maybe I haven't understood your answer properly, but it seems to me to be something different: only one unique item of a certain type allowed (basically, that would mean charms, rings, and 1-handed weapons for barbs).
So using that field it would be possible to edit sojs so they couldn't be worn as a pair, but that wouldn't prevent equipping other unique items.