"Malice" and Open wounds question.
Heya. Apparently I was wrong when I thought Open Wounds can be carried, via the Paladin's smite skill. But now I got curious after reading some threads over at the ABasin. "Malice" has the property of "100% open wounds". But I don't see this happening 100%. At least on Hell mode Fallen Rogue monsters.

So can anyone help me out, what am I missing here? (I thought it was a graphical glitch, but those corrupted rogues definitely did not leave a blood spatter, and their life bar did not decrease beyond the initial hit.)

The paladin in question has some poison charms, and a cold damage charms, in addition to the regular physical attacks.

(edit) After quitting a game, and then restarting it. Apparently OWounds -does- carry over into Smite. The inconsistency this time however, is still noticeable. On those Yeti type monsters, sometimes I could get OWounds to work, sometimes not. So is there anyone that has the formula for 1.10s beta that explains why 100% isn't exactly 100%?

Thanks.
Are you perhaps at any time removing our shield/malice? Like hitting weapon switch? With how buggy items are right now, removing them could be doing so permanently for the duration of the game. Just my first guess.
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
From "monstats2.txt"

Fallen & Fallen Shaman: localBlood=1, Bleed=1
Brutes: localBlood=2, Bleed=2
Yetis: localBlood=0, Bleed=2
Corrupt Rogues: localBlood=0, Bleed=1

The functions of "localBlood" and "Bleed" are not completely clear at the moment, but "localBlood" does seem to determine whether a monster affected by open wounds will actually display blood splatters on screen, even though they are still taking damage from open wounds. While it has been suggested that "Bleed" may determine a monster's susceptibility to open wounds, many types of undead and some animals have Bleed=0, yet they are not (all?) immune to open wounds either. It could very well be that open wounds is simply an unresistable attack too.
Heiho,

I must declare at this point that OW cannot be the source for a monster bleeding graphically. I have several chars with not so much as a hint of OW chance on their equipment (neither their mercs, to point it clear), and monsters do bleeding when hit.

Not all of them, so I don't want to negotiate that the entries in the files are just specifying which monsters can bleed in graphics. But there seems no connection to the OW effect.

To give just an example
Amaazon with
- rare circlet (str/dex/prisma)
- Lionheart
- Sigon Belt&Gloves
- Waterwalk
- Sara1.09
- Manald
- rare Ring with some LL and a bit resist
- cruel Hydra ShaelHel
her merc with
- TR ugly Mask
- Smoke
- cruel Warpikewossname Shael
Most of the monsters of the same type do bleed, not always, but most of the time, so do the Frenzytaurs, the white Teddies and the Frozenthingies in all of the Act5 caves, IIRC also the Succubi there. Not the Reanimateds (sorry, don't know all the monster names by heart, but if you know the caves, you'll probably know which kinds I'm telling about here)
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Are you saying that monsters start bleeding after being hit, or are you saying that monsters bleed when you hit them?

If the latter is the case, uhm...no kidding, most things bleed when you hit them. Open wounds causes continual bleeding without you having to hit them each time.

It's impossible for me to tell from your post.
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
Heiho,

sorry for being not clear enough here.
I can't tell you if they bleed a while after hitting because I just didn't care about the effect an shoot 'em up till they are dead.
I just wanted to point out, that there is no connection between the OW chance and the graphical bleeding like it is mentioned above (or at least as I have understood the mentioning above^^).
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
no, there are 2 different types of bleeding: the normal splotch here, splotch there, and OPen Wounds bleeding. With the latter, it's a constant steam of blood splatters, and very noticeable and not easy to mistake with the former.
Perhaps the nicest aspect of the OW bleeding is that the eviscerated corpse continues to spout blood after you've hacked it into pieces

it's hot here. I think I'll lie down now ;)
>While it has been suggested that "Bleed" may determine a monster's susceptibility to open wounds, many types of undead and some animals have Bleed=0, yet they are not (all?) immune to open wounds either. It could very well be that open wounds is simply an unresistable attack too.

Yes, from early reports and my own scant experience, it does seem that OWounds is irresistable to most critters. The tricky thing at the moment (at least for me) seems to be activating it consistently. The current bugs with gear switching or simply having to restart the game might be the cause.

Thanks again for the info.

ps. I meant the open wound continual blood splatter animation, not just the single blood splotch. Very noticeable when monsters starts to walk\run away, because depending on the type they would\could leave a blood trail. Sorry if I didn't write that clearer.
In 1.09, act II leapers were a very graphic example on the difference between regular and Open wounds. With Open Wounds, they would keep sliding backwards, away from you, when the OW routine was in effect. One hit, and then off they go, spraying blood everywhere.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
My 1.10s Necro has an Act2 Might Merc with a Malice weapon.

He shows no sign of being affected by the -5 Drain Life. Either his natural life regen is over 5% (possible, but he's not wearing anything to add to life regen), or the Drain Life on Malice has no effect on Mercs. Or both. :S

-rcv-
I changed Malice to have -30 Drain Life (apparently that's the cap on life regen, on the negative variant at least) and stuck it in a scythe. While it drained my character's life at a quite noticably pace, it didn't seem to affect my merc (a L56 NM Def merc) at all; he didn't lose any life, it stayed at its max all the time.

I'll try making a -30 life regen armor and helm runeword; if drain life -90 still doesn't touch him, I'll assume that he's "immune" to it. :)

Edit: nope, even with a total of drain life -90 my merc didn't lose a single hitpoint.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
Malice life drain is at a rate of -5/256 life per frame. Even with setting it to -90/256 per frame this may not be much.

A level 56 NM Def merc should have a base life of 821 life (assuming no other +life gear). With their DamageRegen=4 this would give them a life recovery of +205/256 per frame. Adding these two together you would get +115/256 life per frame. So they probably are being effected, just not enough that you can easily see the effect on them considering their normal 'high' life recovery rate.