Questions on IGolem, Steel, and Malice.
Heya. I'm not much of a necromancer player, but I've been toying with something recently. I started a test character using the -act 5 command, and put some points into Iron Golem. I was curious just how effective would a IGolem would be with the "Open Wounds" effect on him. Or it.

Now hopefully there's a few Necro players out there with some more experience, and some higher level characters that can clue me in.

- Does "increased attack speed" do anything for the IG, or is his attack rate locked at a set speed? (Does he swing any faster?)

- If you make a IGolem out of the runeword Malice, does that "drain life -5" do anything to him, or nothing at all since he's considered a minion.

What I've found so far, and some caveats.

Open Wounds works on an IG, and looks interesting. I've made a "Steel" golem, but not with "Malice" yet. I'm curious if Crushing blow would transfer over, though I doubt the IGolems attack speed is ideal with CB. But since I haven't tested that myself, or seen anybody's finding on that, it's only a guess.

Since I'm using a test (clvl 32 or 33) character, it will be a bit of time until I can get him to the Act that's appropriate to his clvl. I'm in Act 1 right now, since I need the Countess to assemble some runes. I would like to see just how well this IG holds up in a mob that's more of his size and strength.
Heiho,

the IG profits from following attributes:
+ %ED
+ Min/Max damage
Elemental damage
Chance % DS.
Chance % CB.
attacker takes damage (also attacker takes elemental damage)
+% damage against undead/demons
Chance to cast wossname on attack
Chance to cast wossname when hit
Chance to cast wossname when struck
Chance % OW
Faster Run/Walk
FHR % (not really sure here)
HBT
Slow
PMH
KB
Flee
Life Leech
Life
Life/clvl (caster's level counts here)
defense and defense modificators (a bit contraproductive, if too much defense on your IG)
Damage Reduce (also contraproductive)
Resistancies (add up with SR, even if it's not shown)
Life Replenish (from the item, and also from the gear the caster wears, like all golems)

Made from a 2H weapon, he only gets the (modified) damage from that weapon, made from an 1H weapon, he gets the (modified) damage from that weapon added to his punching damage listed in the skill tree.

I _think_ he also profits from IAS, but that is hard to recognize in game.

I never tested Malice, so I don't know about the life drain effect. In 1.10 the IG has a pretty high life regeneration, so this would egalize this, in 1.09 he doesn't have a regeneration of his own (except when the caster had life repl gear while casting and/or the IG is made from an item with life repl), so this not-so-good attribute should also be recognizable applied to him.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
librarian,Aug 24 2003, 10:53 AM Wrote:Resistancies (add up with SR, even if it's not shown)
yes, because of this resist boost to immunity levels quirk I've been thinking a careful Necro might be tempted, upon finding a high automod +resist all Paly shield, to socket Exile and make an IG out of it for:

15% Chance To Cast Level 5 Life Tap On Striking (awesome if it works)
Level 13-16 Defiance Aura When Equipped (varies) (awesome if it works)
+2 To Offensive Auras (Paladin Only) (I don't suppose an IG is a Paly to benefit in its Thorns aura, eh?)
+30% Faster Block Rate (IGs probably can't block, even if made from a shield?)
Freezes Target (if the IG is meleeing at level, this is a terribly studly mod)
+220-260% Enhanced Defense (varies) (this work?)
Replenish Life +7 (can't hurt)
+5% To Maximum Cold Resist (not sure if these are relevant)
+5% To Maximum Fire Resist (ditto)
25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items (what's not to like?)
Repairs 1 Durability in 4 Seconds (haha, if he breaks, will he get back up in a while?)

I suppose I could accelerate my rune acquisition by cube mod just to test this, but perhaps someone else would like to try it and report?
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Crystalion-

It all works. I've tested before, with numerous items, and it's because I'm a dirty little cheater. See my post kinda above (I don't know how to link things, because I'm computer illiterate.)

Buena Suerte!
In war, intelligence is the single greatest commodity.
Heiho,

Quote:15% Chance To Cast Level 5 Life Tap On Striking (awesome if it works)
I myself hate it, when my curses are randomly overwritten by some sick cross skill stuff

Quote:Level 13-16 Defiance Aura When Equipped (varies) (awesome if it works)
AFAIK this works, but I think it is contraproductive for the IG; depends on your build

Quote:+2 To Offensive Auras (Paladin Only) (I don't suppose an IG is a Paly to benefit in its Thorns aura, eh?)
He won't profit, IG Thorns are not similar to an aura

Quote:+30% Faster Block Rate (IGs probably can't block, even if made from a shield?)
Golems have a block chance listed in the mpqs, but according to some posts from Ruvanal they should also have an entry there somewhere to give the ability to block without shield plus a blocking animation, which both they haven't so it is useless here.

Quote:Freezes Target (if the IG is meleeing at level, this is a terribly studly mod)
The usefulness again depends on your build, Freeze causes dying monsters quite often to melt away, so there is no corpse left

Quote:+220-260% Enhanced Defense (varies) (this work?)
should work, see Defiance aura statement

Quote:Replenish Life +7 (can't hurt)
works nice

Quote:+5% To Maximum Cold Resist (not sure if these are relevant)
+5% To Maximum Fire Resist (ditto)
Minions don't have resistancy caps, so it's useless

Quote:25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items (what's not to like?)
Repairs 1 Durability in 4 Seconds (haha, if he breaks, will he get back up in a while?)
MF should work, but I never cared about it.
Golems have life, no durability, so forget also about self repair

After all, I think it'd be a pretty expensive golem without adequately usefulness.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB