Last Minute Changes to the Druid
I read something in a review of D2X that was written back in early 2001,
that mentioned the druid being able to shift into 3 forms, not 2
Wearwolf, Wearbear, and Eagle.

You can read it yourself if you click on the following link
www.actiontrip.com/reviews/diablo2expansionset.

Here is the quote in case you're too lazy:

"...The druid can turn into animals and summon them as well. He can turn into an eagle, wolf or bear. The eagle option is good because you fly over enemies and obstacles....."

??????
Did they actually see a screen shot of that?
If they did, then I wonder why the eagle form didn't make the final cut....
The actual skill was called "Condor" and shifted him into Condor form. Blizzard said he loooked awful in that form so they took it out. :) Perhaps the real reason was that he could shapeshift enough in two forms and he would otherwise get too few skills per form, making him too unflexible. He only had 2 - 3 skills per form in the beta due to the three forms. But the skill was in for pretty long. I wonder if there was any released screenshot of it, but I doubt it.

While in Condor form, the Druid was known to be able to use two skills: Phoenix and Lightning Talons. Read more about this skill at an article from diabloii.net's ECTS 2000 visit here and here.

The reason they chose exactly the bird "Condor" might be because Blizzard North was originally called, yep, Condor. Before they got bought by Blizzard Entertainment. Could be a sneaky way to get that reference in. That's just my speculation though.
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)