Kazaa Hosting
I see a lot of people searching for Hellfire and being unable to find it. While I'm not offering Hellfire or Diablo (as I think that would be illegal), I have a zipped up file of The Dark (the entire file) on Kazaa. I am hosting the file and calling it: DiabloTheDark. I am in Supernode: 66.91.96.245:2058 .

The problem is that I have NO IDEA how to customize it for the Software Category, how to add a describtion, or even if its downloadable (I could use some help with that) so I guess if your interested just do a general search in my Supernode and if I did it right, hopefully it will show up. Otherwise, help with how to add files to upload would be nice.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I see a lot of people searching for Hellfire and being unable to find it. While I'm not offering Hellfire or Diablo (as I think that would be illegal), I have a zipped up file of The Dark (the entire file) on Kazaa.

I'm extremely leery of this topic, and I have a bad impression of Kazaa. Are you hosting the mod or hosting Hellfire, all of its associated MPQs, and HF:TD components? If the latter, that's virtually the same as hosting HF all by itself.

-Lem
I wouldn't do it personally. Bad juju. Companies tend to take their intellectual property very seriously even if they don't make it anymore (see record companies getting angry at consumers downloading out of print albums).

Selby
I'm not sure if you can find files selectively like that because ID's on kazaa are not permanent and there could be hundreds with your name.

Also, I wouldn't recomond using kazaa at all. It installs heavy spyware.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
LemmingofGlory,Sep 26 2003, 05:17 PM Wrote:I'm extremely leery of this topic, and I have a bad impression of Kazaa. Are you hosting the mod or hosting Hellfire, all of its associated MPQs, and HF:TD components? If the latter, that's virtually the same as hosting HF all by itself.

-Lem
Hum, good point. I was hosting The Dark with all components in one zip, but I took it down. It seemed legitimate to me at first because I was thinking of it as just a MOD, but you make a good point about the MOD being one thing, but Hellfire and Diablo still being hellfire and Diablo, despite heavy modding. So I removed the file from Kazaa and you can feel free to delete this thread. Sorry for the trouble.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Yep, kazaa is a nest infested with spyware at every turn...
Do unto others before they do unto you
Kazaa is just a client of the "FastTrack" peer-to-peer network. Other clients include Grokster, iMesh, Kazaa Lite, and (in the past) Morpheus.

The original Kazaa (or "KaZaA", or whatever it's called), produced by Sharman Networks, does contain spyware. Don't install it under any circumstances.

I don't want to debate the hazy legal issues surrounding peer-to-peer software. The only thing I want to say is that there are completely legitimate uses for it.

That being said, I'd recommend that anyone using Kazaa switch to Kazaa Lite ASAP.

From Kazaa Lite's website:
Quote:Kazaa Lite (sometimes called 'K-Lite') is a Peer-to-Peer File Sharing application that does not contain any 'Spyware'. In actual fact, it is a modified version of the very popular Kazaa Media Desktop (often called the 'Original Kazaa' or 'KMD'), which is made by Sharman Networks. Both programs are very similar, with almost identical features and appearance. The main difference is that Kazaa Lite has been modified so that it does not have any of the so-called 'Spyware' and 'Adware' that comes with the Original Kazaa.

-DeeBye
That is quite useful, thank you. That explains where we got the spyware on my PC from....

I just had to wipe my entire computer hard drive clean cause we couldn't stop the spyware from reproducing.

Kazaa is loaded with a keystroke monitor so it records every keystroke you make and send it to a server. I'm assuming they're looking for Credit card numbers.
Lelorinel,Sep 29 2003, 05:37 AM Wrote:Kazaa is loaded with a keystroke monitor so it records every keystroke you make and send it to a server. I'm assuming they're looking for Credit card numbers.
And your evidence for this is? (And "so and so said so" is not evidence)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
The evidence is that it infected my computer.
Lelorinel,Sep 29 2003, 12:20 AM Wrote:The evidence is that it infected my computer.
Wow, some day I hope to be as good a master of logic as you are.

Maybe that day will come when I forget that Kazaa only has normal Spyware/Adware, KazaaLite has none at all, and its most like the pron or warez downloaded that infects a computer.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Don't worry, you'll learn to be a master of logic someday.....
Kazaa lite is actualy an illegal crack. I thought it was a great idea until that burst my bubble:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/

Ditch Kazaa completely. Why use a crack when there are legitimete software packages without any of that crap?
Quote:Kazaa lite is actualy an illegal crack.

According to which countries' laws?

This is all way too hazy for the average person to understand, myself included. Kazaa (by Sharman Networks) is located in Holland. Kazaa Lite is German. I live in Canada. Stuff hosted on the FastTrack network is from all over the world.

Whose laws applies?

Even it IS illegal, I'm not not going to lose sleep over using it. Spyware can kiss my arse.
Run the install file and read the terms. The makers themselves say that.

I'm not trying to make anyone stop using it. I'm just bringing it up before anyone decides to download it. Besides, there are many p2p programs without spyware that can do what Kazaa can and much more.
Quote:Run the install file and read the terms.

This is a good idea, because I can never have too much spyware on my computer. After that, I'll install Gator.

Also, I received this keen e-mail today, and I think I'll run the attachment:

Quote:Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!
There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!
More than 500.000 already infected!

I trust that my sarcasm was readily apparent :)

Since I've never installed Kazaa, I haven't read the Terms of Use. I'm not bound by them, even if "shrink-wrapped" Terms of Use agreements were legally enforcable.

Quote:I'm not trying to make anyone stop using it. I'm just bringing it up before anyone decides to download it. Besides, there are many p2p programs without spyware that can do what Kazaa can and much more.

I agree. Kazaa Lite is one such program. You call it a "crack". I could call it a "mod". Point me in the direction of a better program, and I'll go in guns-a-blazing.

-DeeBye

(ps. I am not a p2p junkie. I've used it like 5 times in the past 6 months. I'm probably the wrong person to argue my point)
Quote:This is a good idea, because I can never have too much spyware on my computer. After that, I'll install Gator.

I trust that my sarcasm was readily apparent

Since I've never installed Kazaa, I haven't read the Terms of Use. I'm not bound by them, even if "shrink-wrapped" Terms of Use agreements were legally enforcable.

I'm referring to the K-Lite install file terms. I don't like software writers telling you straight up it's illegal. Well, at least they're honest. ;)

Quote:I agree. Kazaa Lite is one such program. You call it a "crack". I could call it a "mod". Point me in the direction of a better program, and I'll go in guns-a-blazing.

The article I posted 2 posts ago has a number of p2p programs free of spyware. I can't possibly tell you what you'll like. :D

In the end, the decisons are yours. I'm just pointing it out for people who are thinking about that decison.

And don't even start on the whole legality of p2p programs. I'm not touching it with a ten foot long pole. ;)

Edit: Whatever happens, don't use original Kazaa! :o
Well I like Kazaa Lite K++ personally (what I use), but to get some manga, I had to get Bittorent, which works pretty well also. I guess theres a lot of peer-to-peer programs out there. mIRC can obviously be used as one, as can MSN Messenger - which is very slow BTW ;)