Quick frenzy synergy question
Does anyone know how berserk's % bonus magic damage interacts with frenzy?

If it's % of the weapon's base damage it seems pretty useless...
That's the way damage calculations usually work in this game, I'm assuming no different here. So +1% magic damage per lvl of berserk is added. Given that your frenzy damage now is computed by adding the base weapon damage + str damage + frenzy skill damage + weapon mastery damage (which all look at weapon damge to compute their respective totals) + bonuses from items and then the chance of critical strike: this 1% times, say, a lvl 20 berserk isnt much to compete with the double(?) hp's and hidden monster bonuses in 1.10. Yes, it was awfully disappointing to read that especially since you would want to power up with frenzy and switch to berserk with 1.10 even more than ever. I have 16 pts in frenzy and 1 in berserk, with +6 to skills, thats 22 and 7. But berserk is working better than frenzy in killing individual monsters and even mobs, the reheal and higher resistance to damage is too much for me to get over, its one at a time for my barb.

I play in classic D2. There are only a few frenzy barbs in classic and we came to the opinion today that our chars were RUINED by this patch. Even with spare skill points, ruined. And we have yet to hear of any glory uniques dropping in classic (we get just normal uniques and exceptional rares), unless the 'sinsister' world-event comes thru for us. It's sad that items and elemental damage have become so important in this game. I was doing much better using ww (ugh!) and got only one base point in that skill too. A friend of mine who is a lvl 86 thrower (I have friends in high places, yes, we have throwers in classic too) was doing about as well as my frenzy barb. He died 2x tho, he doesnt have a lvl 16 warcry and needed to have kept closer to me!

Let me repeat myself again, for effect. My dinky one point in ww is doing the job now, barely, and the 16+6 invested points in frenzy seems to be competing with reheal. I play the game primarily to use hard earned skills and tactics to win. If items are needed now to give poison damage to prevent reheal and crushing blow with goblin toes/rattlecage then it takes away from the game tons for me.

Diablo in Cold Plains!!!!what!! later, just heard a rumor
kra,Oct 26 2003, 02:25 PM Wrote:Does anyone know how berserk's % bonus magic damage interacts with frenzy?

If it's % of the weapon's base damage it seems pretty useless...
In the beta it converted that % of physical damage into magic damage; I suspect it's the same in 1.10. You can easily test it with one point into berserk (which you'd use anyway for handling PI's); if your damage doesn't change by even one point then it must be converting physical into magical.

The synergy is quite useful when frenzying against monsters with high physical resistance.