Stickies Links Page Help
Hi,

Quote:I sent Bolty a PM about 1.5 weeks ago asking if I could create a "links" page stickied in these forums which basically linked to lots of useful information all over the net for Diablo, however initially he pointed me to our Community page and asked if that wasn't enough. I convinced him most lurkers went directly to the forums and that a stickies page with all the most useful information would be best for everyone.
I suspect you've already seen this, but whatever you do should play well with however the new LL works or you will have done a lot of work for little gain. You are right that many people go directly to the fora. That is part of what Bolty is trying to change with the proposed changes.

Personally, I think what you want to do is good, but how you want to do it isn't. The fora are for discussion, the main site is for information. Taking the information out of the main site and putting it into the fora is a step backward. It replicated what we already have but in an inferior manner. I think that your effort would be better spent in helping to maintain the existing links page. Adding links, removing obsolete links (or at least pointing out that they are obsolete information), adding commentary about what each link contains, etc.

Also, a big part of extracting information about any game nowadays is identifying information that is no longer true. Very little of the information out there is tied to either a date or a game version. Often it is nearly impossible without much digging to resolve conflicts in the information and determine what is still applicable to the game at present. This, too, is maybe something you would want to consider in whatever you do. Perhaps something as simple as dating the links and labeling them with the game version number.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Stickies Links Page Help - by Taem - 04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Stickies Links Page Help - by --Pete - 04-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Stickies Links Page Help - by Taem - 04-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Stickies Links Page Help - by --Pete - 04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Stickies Links Page Help - by Taem - 04-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Stickies Links Page Help - by Taem - 08-25-2009, 11:10 PM