problems running diablo on win 2k
Quote:hope you can make more of it than i can. this is quite cryptic to me...

Both crashes occured in the same place in the code. The fault occured in a location not known to be associated with any module in the process, and it's definitely not one of Diablo's own. Blizzard's stack frame backtrace failed (as usual), but a manual walk of the stack says that it was somewhere down in Storm.dll when it suddenly transitioned off into an unknown module (DLL). The code bytes suggest this was not a completely bad jump. If it was, there would be no code bytes to dump.

All that said, I have no idea why it's crashing for you. If you have not yet, check that your system is free of spyware and other infections. If you are out of other options, I can suggest some other things to try, but they become progressively more technical and invasive, with no guarantee of success. The first thing to try would be to get a list of modules loaded in Diablo at the moment it crashes. To do this, open a command prompt and run: "ntsd <path-to-diablo>". A new console window will appear. In it, type:
  1. .logopen <filename>. Remember that filename - you'll need to post the contents of that file later.<>
  2. ld *<>
  3. sxd -c2 "lm; q" av<>
  4. g<>
    [st]Diablo should start and crash. ntsd may or may not shut Diablo down far enough for you to recover your desktop. If it doesn't, you'll need to focus on the ntsd window and type "q". Since Diablo may have your screen locked in a black state, you'll have to do this by alt-tabbing to each open window in turn and feeding it a q until Diablo dies. You may want to exit all other open windows first so that ntsd is the only window which can take focus. After you have done this, post the contents of the file named in the .logopen command. I doubt there will be anything sensitive in it (username, computer name, etc.), but check it first anyway.

On an unrelated note, I could have had this post to you quite a bit sooner if this forum was not so damned dependent on Javascript. Javascript should not be mandatory for reading the documentation! That's a classic sign of a designer who is more interested in being clever than in actually accomplishing anything.

Messages In This Thread
problems running diablo on win 2k - by havelock - 09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by LennyLen - 09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by havelock - 09-07-2006, 06:06 PM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by Alamara - 09-07-2006, 10:04 PM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by [vL]Kp - 09-08-2006, 11:26 PM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by LennyLen - 09-09-2006, 03:57 AM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by HowGozit - 09-09-2006, 07:35 AM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by havelock - 09-09-2006, 10:53 AM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by [vL]Kp - 09-09-2006, 05:05 PM
problems running diablo on win 2k - by RusBot - 09-21-2006, 10:47 AM