Well, after all these years, I'm playing again
Quote: I'd like to know your impressions on how the game has stood up (even if you are playing the playstation port).

It stands up quite well IMO. It's not perfect, I think the Black Death zombies permanently damaging your HP, along with the Fascinating Ornate Sacred shrines damaging MP stats, are way too harsh. It goes beyond 'punishing' the character to just punishing the player. D2 incorporating an auto click system, something that saves fingers as well as countless mice.

Aside from those issues which is relatively small in the larger context, D1 is IMO remarkably as close to perfect for what it is. (With the HF:Fixed mod, it's even more perfect-er for me.)

I remember reading some video game history book or such and such, and it had a blurb on Diablo 1. And I'm slightly paraphrasing here due to faulty memory, but the creators said when they were designing D1, they wanted to create a game where can play for 5 minutes before going to bed, AND\OR play for 5 hours into the wee morning. They definitely accomplished that goal in my book.

Now, if only bliz would re-release D1 as a re-mastered classic. A la' Half Life1:Source.

Messages In This Thread
Well, after all these years, I'm playing again - by Hammerskjold - 12-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Well, after all these years, I'm playing again - by OldSchoolForLife - 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM