Is Backing-Up Chars Duping?
Hi,

Thank you for providing some illuminating examples.

Quote:My next got to level 36 and I knew how to back him up but I lost the file and my friend lost the extra of it I gave him.
This is what the cops call "suspicious behavior". While giving a copy of your character file to a friend is not cheating, I cannot think of anything, other than just holding it for you, that your friend could do with that file that is not cheating. In my opinion, helping someone cheat is cheating.

Quote:But to answer your question, I don't think of it as cheating so long as your not using it to dupe items . . .
Right.

Quote:. . . and make multiple copies . . .
Copies of the item(s) or of the file? If the first, you've already said it; no duping. If the second, it doesn't matter. One copy of the backup or a million, it doesn't matter. If you use it to cheat, you're cheating. If not, then you're not.

Quote:. . . or continously abusing it.
If by "abusing it" you mean "use it to cheat", then you've got a tautology -- true but boring. Otherwise, I can't figure out what you mean.

Quote:I kept mine backed up to have it on file encase of hard drive failure, accidently erasure, that sort of thing.
Valid.

Quote:I used it once while experiementing my character in Hell/Hell and my character died and I had no time to recover cause my drive for work was going.
I would call that cheating. You should not put yourself in that position, but if you do, you should just suck it up and thank the Diablo gods for the lesson in thinking ahead. On the other hand, if all you've had is three characters in their thirties, the loss of one might seem disastrous. There are many here who can, and have, built a character to that level in a weekend. And occasionally do so just for test purposes.

Quote:Other conditions I find to be exceptable are power failures during recovery and latency kicking you out.
I agree -- situation not in your control and not related to your gaming abilities.

Quote:If your dying often and backing up your character then probably yes its cheating.
Not necessarily. You could be dying often because you are trying something hard. You could be backing up because your machine is flaky, because you have a 'tight' backup strategy, or because you're paranoid. But if you are only restoring to recover from system problems (power glitches, latency boots, lost connection, etc.) then you still aren't cheating.

Quote:However in DII they made it so you just had to click on your body to recover, even if you left the game to go to another. So if you were in a hurry or couldn't recover you could get in next game. If its not cheating there why would it be cheating in old D1 where they never thought of implementing it or had the technical opinons?
Gee, let me think. Maybe because CD and DII are TWO DIFFERENT GAMES???? Hell, in Mario, when you run out of lives, you have to start over. So according to your reasoning, hard core is the only legit way to play :P

Quote:No - as long as your respectful of how to use it.
Ah, well that covers it. Only . . . how do *you* define 'respect'.

--Pete

PS Please use a spell checker on your posts, it makes it easier for those of us who do. If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, then ieSpell is a great little program and it's free. And by the way, spell checking my posts is part of how I define 'respect' on fora.

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by Rejections - 06-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by --Pete - 06-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by TheKingofKewl - 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by --Pete - 06-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by TheKingofKewl - 06-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by FireIceTalon - 06-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by --Pete - 06-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by TheKingofKewl - 06-14-2008, 02:21 AM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by LennyLen - 06-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Is Backing-Up Chars Duping? - by --Pete - 06-14-2008, 06:02 PM