Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
(08-04-2015, 08:39 AM)Belix Wrote: And just to make sure, did you mean:

A) Warrior & Barbarian always have Speed/Haste with these weapons, or
Woops, definitely A). Sorry I worded it unclearly, I was looking at the JG info for Barbarian axe and club "of Swiftness" rate and probably got a wire crossed somewhere.

Anyhow the important thing is definitely A), that's basically the idea\goal I'm interested in. If I can somehow tweak the base speed to be:

-Warrior with all one handed club\sword at natural base speed of 0.35.

-Barbarian with all club\axe at natural base speed of .30, barbarian with all swords 0.35. If that is far too difficult to do with hex editing alone (at my skill level at least), I'll try it as Barbarian with all club\swords\axe at speed\haste 0.35.

Quote:From a gear dependency standpoint, A makes a lot more sense. I've grown somewhat tired of shopping gear for high level melee characters these days. The stash feature has helped with that some, as I can place items other characters don't need in there for use by other characters that reach Hell difficulty later. I'd rather not think about the number of times I've heard "Well, what can I do for ya?" over the years.

Exactly. For this "arcade mode" idea I'm more interested in reducing the tedium of grinding for gear, especially for the Warrior and Barbarian since gear dependence is more apparent with them IMO.

Quote:That kind of modification is probably easier than the attack speeds. Though your formula might need a little work. 2-24% sweep damage for the first 12 clvls is probably even less effective than it is now. I forget the current formula Marsh set up, but I think I know where he did that, so I could take a look at it in the code sometime. I feel like the current formula all but nullifies sweep attack early in the game. Perhaps I can find a nice middle ground between what Marsh did and its original craziness.

The formula I threw is first draft brainstorming at most, I'm not married to it so critique and improve away. If you can find a good middle ground, all the better. Hmmm, is it practical or even doable to make it a tapering\diminishing formula in the game code? Enough of an "oomph" for early clvls, and tapers off (but not fall into the D2-LoD "balance at all cost, even at the cost of fun") by the time the character reach a practical high clvl like 40+?

Quote:Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I don't remember reading anything about Bard attack speed changes in the HF:Fixed change log. I'm curious what caused that, because my current understanding of the game's innards makes me think that would be a very intricate, complicated thing to do by accident. So either there are more variables that control attack speed I don't know about, or HF:Fixed went a bit out of its way to make Bards faster with maces.

From the posting of that older thread, at least the way I read it the change might have been inadvertent. But in a roundabout way it was also what sparked my interest in what else could be tweaked, if changing the bard speed with a mace was possible.

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-8955.html

Quote:I think removing that restriction so MP chars can switch difficulties freely may be easier than the attack speed changes. Unfortunately a quick attempt to find and break this restriction didn't turn up anything. So far I've had very little luck modifying any of Diablo's menu behaviors despite combing through them for hours. Fixing the Enter key not working in all menus, adding information to the character selection screen (such as class name since hero picture and stats don't always make that clear, and current gold carried), trying to reduce menu CPU usage, and now this haven't gone anywhere despite my best efforts. The code that runs the game menu seems very arcane. But, hopefully I'll figure it out in time.

No worry, this is just my thinking out loud for the most part. I'd rather it not mess up your order of priorities if it's a huge hassle.

Messages In This Thread
A5 progress update - by Belix - 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish! - by Hammerskjold - 08-04-2015, 10:51 AM