Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
I've had a lot of difficulty getting Diablo or Hellfire to run much on Windows 8 at all. Glad you sorted it out.

The CD issue is usually caused by an unfortunate default setting in Marsh's mod itself that I have considered overwriting with an updated file. But there's no win-win solution to it because I have no way of knowing whether players prefer to run the game from their hard drive by default (better performance than using the real CD) or use the CD/virtual disc. No matter what setting is default in that file, it is going to inconvenience somebody.

And the Enter keystroke not working through all the menus seems to originate from a modified .dll Marsh included from The Hell distribution which, without, Hellfire doesn't seem to want to run much at all on newer operating systems. Unfortunately, The Hell team doesn't oft share information about their work, so it is unlikely I'll ever see the source code for the .dll file - and I'm uncertain if I'll ever learn enough to fix the problem without it.

It is completely possible there will be a list of problems I can never really fix working with the original game. I'll do as much as I can for it as time goes by, but what we really need is a proper open source/free implementation of the Diablo engine that recreates the original game as closely as humanly possible. I know someone out there is interested in doing this, but it will be even more time consuming than my mod. And it seems people who have made any effort to make a custom Diablo engine are more interested in using it to fundamentally alter Diablo to their own taste, instead of making a proper vanilla basis from which anyone could modify the original game to their liking if they so wished.

Heck, I'd make it myself if I had the free time. I envy whoever finally does it because it seems like it would be an awesomely fun project. But I can barely find enough time to make semi-regular updates for this.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you have any other problems. I always make an effort to swiftly fix any serious issues I've caused.

(07-12-2015, 12:19 PM)RadTang Wrote: Anything more could I add to help?

Actually, yes. I am still very interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the optional CPU usage reduction feature. Has anyone who has tried it noticed -any- negative impact on the game's performance or experienced it causing any problems? So far it has worked flawlessly for myself and my small test group of friends, so I am considering porting it over to the original Diablo. But I have no feedback on it yet from anyone here. Inviting anyone else to chime in, but if you'd care to try it out and report back, I'd appreciate it.

Messages In This Thread
A5 progress update - by Belix - 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish! - by Belix - 07-12-2015, 06:47 PM