Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
Wow, thank you so much for this! especially for maintaining it so well for what seems to be three years since Marsh's first upload. Lots of awesome changes! and the one's I don't agree with I can disable (abbreviated greetings by Adria and Griswold just feel so strange to me Wink) very nice!!

Out of curiosity, are the qlvls and base items of the unique items changed in the same way they are in Hellfire: Fixed? or simply the qlvls spread out more evenly? I'm asking because I didn't see any coils or bands, but on the other hand Lazarus dropped a Shirotachi, whereas in plain Hellfire he would have dropped Grandfather instead. Also, I felt like there was a significant increase in magic and unique item drops. Is that true or was I just lucky?

If you are still looking for things to improve/change, here are some ideas. Don't know how difficult these are to fix/implement. The first two bugs seem to be a result of this mod.

Additional bugs to fix:
  • Spells cast in quick succession (before the previously cast spell is completely executed) will result in several cast animations, but only the last spell is executed. I know this is just a matter of changing one's casting habit, as there is no use in clicking faster than your character can cast. But still, it's tough to remember when you flee in panic from approaching Bloodknights and try to cast Fireballs in quick succession, only realizing after 4 casts that no Fireball has appeared yet. Also, my beloved telenova strategy through Steel Lords is difficult (often fatal) without doublecasting Undecided Anyway, I have been able to isolate when the problem appears, which might help identifying the source of it: Interestingly enough, the problem does not appear when first entering dlvl 13, but only after reaching dlvl 14 for the first time (might be true for other dlvl changes). The problem ceases to exist after defeating Diablo Huh
  • Double clicks necessary to choose load game or new game in the main menu. This means I cannot make these selections with the enter key, which is particularly annyoing since the mouse does not appear after leaving an earlier game. This means I have to exit Hellfire and restart loader.exe to create a new game.
  • Possibly you are aware of this already: when loader.exe is run as administrator, the game does not see singleplayer characters that were created before installing the mod. I guess it's no problem really, since the characters are found correctly if loader.exe is run without administrator's rights, and administrator's rights are only necessary for multiplayer games.
  • Mana Shield bug: This has been around for as long as Diablo 1. When a hit would cause the character to die without the Mana Shield on, hit recovery is skipped and additional hits occuring in the same 0.05 second interval are completely ignored. Thus a Sorcerer with 1 Life and no shield except a Mana Shield never enters hit or block recovery, which means that no spell is ever interrupted. Although convenient for Telenova/Teleimmolation Sorcerers that hunt Mysterious shrines to reduce Vitality to 0, this is clearly a bug. Probably the major bug still around that affects gameplay.
  • No Healing animation when used in town. Always bothered me for some reason Undecided not sure if it's easy to do.
  • No mana cost for disabling your Golem with an additional cast of the Golem spell. Not sure this is a bug, but I feel like it shouldn't cost 60 mana to disable your Golem, especally when you can kill it with a Fireball for 10 Mana. Disabling it with the spell would be 'cleaner' in a way.
  • Finally, my Armor of Gloom that I found in plain Hellfire still morphs to a Demon Plate Armor upon creation of a new game. But maybe this is changed for Armors of Gloom found with the mod.

Additional features:
  • More hotkeys. Don't know if this is easily implemented, but if F2-F12 could all be used that would enhance the gaming experience so much!!
  • Mana Shield / Reflect stays on when changing dungeon levels. Maybe even when returning to town. An additional cast would disable it (at no cost) similarly as it works (should work) for Golems. Maybe one could even allow casting of Mana Shields and Reflect in town.
  • Second weapon slot. Maybe this is in violation of the true Hellfire feel, but personally I think it would be great to have a second weapon slot. Many character classes have this one monster type where they need to switch, and a second weapon slot would make this so much smoother and free up more room in the inventory. Probably quite difficult to implement, but if it can be done, this would be awesome!
  • In singleplayer, unique items that the player has equipped at game creation won't drop again. I think it would be awesome if that were to include items in the inventory and in Gillian's Stash. Would make them more unique, and hunting for a specific unique item would be faster (especially if we don't know the precise qlvls the items were changed to).
  • I would love it if the Flash of monster mages would do more damage, similar to player's Flashes with this mod. Also, I think it would be awesome if there was a small probability that mages do a Teleflash from time to time (maybe this could depend on the intelligence factor, f.ex. 2*IntF%, so that Counselors won't do it). Unfortunately I wasn't able to find Brother Jerec on dlvl 15 despite getting magistrates to see how he does it.
  • I may be alone in this, but I always felt like it's a bug that the difficulty only affects the qlvl of base items and not the qlvl for affixes of magical items. I thought it can't be a coincidence that the best affixes have qlvl 60, which is precisely the level of Bloodknights, Advocates and Soulburners in Hell/Hell. I mean, where does Wirt get his supply if these items can't be found in the dungeons Huh I guess one would have to revert Diablo's level to 30/45/60 and do the same for Na-Krul to prevent creating level 60 affixes with certainty (Na-Krul has lvl 105 in Hell) and possibly set a minimum level for affixes similarly as when Wirt sells them. If you are ever attempting this, one could also rethink the qlvl of current affixes and unique items, make Hell/Hell more worth playing. If you are interested in this, I have lots of ideas for how qlvls could be changed Smile
  • Is it possible to have Diablo drop several magical items similar to Na-Krul to make it worth killing him? Or at least a random magical item rather than the undead crown in singleplayer?
  • Finally, same as Predator suggested, A mana recharge from Adria would be a nice-to-have.

In reply to some of the other posts in this thread:
  • @Malek, more rings are found in church because the qlvls of the three different types of rings were all set to 1 in HF:F (they used to be 5, 10 and 15 in plain Diablo/HF). This is something I would change back if I had the knowledge to do so :wink: because I don't see a problem if certain items are not findable in Normal difficulty.
  • @maplestoryfall, you can still walk diagonally (w.r.t. grid: N-S, W-E) through straight (w.r.t. grid: NE-SW, NW-SE) Firewalls without receiving any damage at all, regardless of how many adjacent straight Firewalls there are. Interestingly enough, it is impossible to walk through two adjacent diagonal Firewalls without receiving damage.

Again, thanks a lot to you, Marsh and Lemming for making Hellfire more fun to play!!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hellfire Patch v1.02.A4: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish! - by Slyrk - 12-30-2014, 06:04 PM
A5 progress update - by Belix - 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM