Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
v1.02.A4 has finally arrived! I appreciate everyone's patience. As usual, this post will contain only changes over the previous version, A3. For the download and the full change list, please see the original post.

Most of the change list has been completely reformatted and reorganized in an attempt to improve readibility. It has also been expanded to include information about installation, troubleshooting and more. The mod file itself has been reorganized and the names of codes have been altered to better match their titles in the change list, which should make modifying this to your own tastes much easier.

Please keep in mind that this update will overwrite your mod file, so any customizations you have made will need to be made again. It will not be necessary to add the durability code fix for multiplayer games again as it is, of course, included in this update.

Though this release was thoroughly tested, there could be issues that I've missed. The sooner you report anything I broke, the sooner I can fix it. Smile

Thank you all. Forgive any inconsistencies in the formatting, as organization and neatness are not my strong points.

• aqrit's DDraw wrapper: No longer included; it won't fix some issues that other wrappers can. Replaced by registry files.
• A3 Durability Bug: A bug when exchanging items in multiplayer that could transmit incorrect item durability has been fixed. Sorry about that!
p.s. Regretfully, fixing this bug will not restore the durability of any items already effected. Lost durability can be restored with oils.

• Fleshdancer: Marsh brought this unique Soul Burner over from Hellfire: Fixed, but forgot to enable it - this has been corrected
• Monster Ranged Attacks: BEWARE! Most monsters previously couldn't hit you up close with arrows or spells; now they can
• Block Bonus: Each class now gains its intended chance to block bonus (previously always ignored in Hellfire)
• Doppelganger's: Cloning effect disabled in MP games due to sync issues and crashes
• of Peril: Now properly updates your Life Orb to show damage taken (previously only updated if you had Life Steal)
• Resurrect: The spell sound effect was set incorrectly and would never play; now you'll hear it as intended
• Rejuvenation Potion: A bug with the amount of Life and Mana restored for Monks and Bards has been fixed (50% more effective for each)
• Rejuvenation Potion: No longer looks identical to Full Rejuvenation while on the ground; is now a dim gold, as seemed intended
• Warlord of Blood Quest: Now enabled by default in Multiplayer again (now that several issues with it are resolved)
• Warlord of Blood Quest: Warlord is hostile in MP, no speech (his speech would not activate for all players, making him invincible on their games)
• Warlord of Blood Quest: Steel Tome dialogue does not replay every time you re-enter floor in Multiplayer
• Warlord of Blood Quest: Appears in only 50% of Multiplayer games if enabled (previously he was present every single session)

• Combat Effects (Bows): Many combat effects ignored or bugged when using Bows now work correctly
........Affects: • Jester's • of Bashing • of Blood • of Devastation • of Peril • of Piercing • of Puncturing • of the Bat • of the Leech • of Vampires
....................• Deadly Hunter • Ring of Engagement • The Undead Crown

........Notes...
............Deadly Hunter: Yes, the +200% Damage vs Demons on this bow finally works now after all these years - good luck finding one though!
............Penetrate Target's Armor: Unchanged, listed for reference: Piercing = 1, Puncturing = 2, Bashing = 3, Ring of Engagement = 4 (multiple sources stack!)
............Penetrate, 1 Point: Unchanged, effectively ignores 25% of monster's Armor Class (resultant AC rounded down)
............Penetrate, 2+ Points: Unchanged, 1st point ignored, every point after it accumulatively halves effective AC: 2 = -50%, 3 = -75%, 4 = -87%, 5 = -93% etc.
............Penetrate, Point Bug: In plain Hellfire, Bows affected by Penetration actually raised a monster's AC by the number of penetrate points!
............Blitzen & Flambeau: These attack as spells, and will not gain these modifiers
............Remember: Life Steal, Mana Steal and Jester's don't normally appear on bows (but you can use the Undead Crown for Life Stealing bows now!)
............Obsolete: Former alterations to Deadly Hunter to make up for +200% Dam vs Demons not working have been revoked

• Attack Speed Behavior (Bows): Bows with Fast Attack Speed or better now fire faster; arrow speed bonus removed
........Reasoning: Diablo had it right! Hellfire made Swiftness bows & The Needler junk: Fast Attack granted +2 arrow speed, flying a mere 6% faster at best.
........Affects: • of Haste • of Speed • of Swiftness • The Needler
........Notes...
............Behavior: Should be identical to melee; 1 frame faster with Fast, 2 frames with Faster/Fastest. Rogues will benefit most
............Gnat Sting: Unaffected; has Quick Attack which doesn't shoot faster, but retains its +1 Arrow Speed behavior
............Remember: Speed and Haste don't normally appear on bows
............Obsolete: Former alterations to The Needler to make up for Fast Attack not working have been revoked

• Monster Chance To Hit Overflow (Melee): Chance To Hit more than 255% would be erroneously reduced by 256%
........Affects: • Nightmare • Hell
....................• Diablo • Na'Krul • Flesh Thing

........Notes...
............Obsolete: Former alterations to the stats of Diablo, Na'Krul and Flesh Thing made to bypass this bug have been revoked

• Wirt: Stops favoring the sale of item types you don't have (i.e. if you carry 3 bows, he'd virtually never sell a bow)
• New Game/Quit: To prevent accidental exits, these options are now disabled while you are dead in a multiplayer game
• Chain Lightning: No longer scans for targets further than the corners of your screen (reduces gapping)

• Black Deaths can now steal your Vitality
........Black Deaths now have a 75% chance to steal 1 Vitality per hit, offset by Magic Resist (75% Resist Magic = immune to Vitality drain)
........Reasoning: Restores Black Death life reduction without the old permanent damage to your max life. Also less harsh as the effect is resistable.
........Notes...
............Drain Limit: Black Deaths will never reduce your Vitality below your current character level

• Search spell duration fixed AGAIN (lower level durations were still incorrect)
........Now matches the formula in Jarulf's Guide: 12.25 + 10 * Spell Level + Character Level seconds (Lvl 15 Search cast by Lvl 32 Sorc = 3.2~ minutes)
........Notes...
............Original Behavior: 12.25 + 0.5 * Spell Level + 0.1 seconds; Lvl 15 Search cast by Lvl 32 Sorc: = 20~ seconds (yes, it ignored character level)
............Duration Stacks: Unchanged; every cast of Search adds the spell duration to its current duration if it is already active

• Multiplayer Characters are no longer saved as Hidden System Files
........They're still saved in your WINDOWS directory as hr_info#.drv (but now they're a lot easier to find!)
........Notes...
............Existing Characters: This change will only unhide existing characters after each one is played again (just host/exit with each one quickly)

• Experience is now divided between players again
........In the current implementation, exp is always divided by the number of players in the game, NOT just the same floor! So play together!
........Reasoning: In the original game, only players who struck a monster got a cut of its experience, divided by the number of entitled players.
............Marsh's mod introduced a Shared Exp feature that rewarded all players on the same level, but it gave everyone 100% of the experience,
............making leveling in MP games faster. This is my attempt to retain the Shared Exp feature while returning Exp gains to normal behavior.
............Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work without dividing when players are dead or absent, but this does have the unintended benefit of
............making it harder to get ahead of teammates. I will further refine this to act more like the original game when/if I can.

• Shorter Spell Wall Durations
........Extra time per level halved, Lightning doesn't last longer than Fire any more
........Reasoning: Wall duration was more annoying than helpful. Level 15 Lightning Walls lasted 3.4 minutes!
........Affects: • Fire Wall • Lightning Wall • Ring of Fire

• Altered Unique Bows - Life & Mana Steal
........Now that bows can leech in v1.02.A4, 4 mid-range unique bows gain Life or Mana steal
........Affects: • Bow of the Dead • Flamedart • Fleshstinger • The Blackoak Bow
........Notes...
............Amounts: Bow of the Dead: 3% Life, Flamedart: 5% Mana, Fleshstinger: 5% Life, The Blackoak Bow: 3% Mana
............Vitality Curses: Bow of the Dead had no room for a new enchantment, so I replaced -3 Vitality; for consistency, I replaced -10 Vitality on Blackoak also

• Altered Diablo Uniques - Improve Usefulness
........This is by no means a comprehensive rehaul of Diablo uniques!
........These are a few Uniques I found I felt would be considerably more appealing with only minimal changes.
............• Blackoak Shield: -10 Vitality >>> Fast Hit Recovery
............• Harlequin Crest: +2 All Attributes >>> +4 All Attributes, +7 Life & Mana >>> +15 Life & Mana (AC penalty might be worth it now)
............• Helm of Spirits: Life Stealing [size=-3](was: Hit Steals 5% Life; this very rare helm can now be stacked with normal Life Steal)

............• Messerschmidt's Reaver: -50 Life >>> +2 Damage From Enemies
[/size]
• Elixir of Strength: No longer looks identical to Potion of Mana while on the ground; is now a bright white bottle, like Vitality Elixirs
• Adria: Her shack has moved near the Town Portals (bridges leading to her old home are gone, to help remind you she moved)

• See the Resistances of other players
........Mousing over other players now shows Resists next to Life; for consistency, max resists on your character page now show as 75% instead of MAX
........Reasoning: Now you can check a teammate's resists before going somewhere dangerous, or selling something they might need.
........Affects: • Multiplayer • LCS (Lying Character Screen)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hellfire Patch v1.02.A4: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish! - by Belix - 05-13-2014, 09:59 AM
A5 progress update - by Belix - 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM