The Dark Graphics - Save .cl2 animation [solved]
Hello qualakon,

- unfortunately, that is not how things work. TDG is tailor made to support Blizzard's way of encoding 256 colour bitmaps exactly as they are used in the game.

- Image size (for .cl2) is dictated by frame header size which allows for 5 WORDS only. this means that maximum possible Height is 5 * 32 lines. The width of each line has also to be specific and I don't recall exactly but i think that it is either fixed per file type or hardcoded per filename.

- bear in mind that D/HF utilises 2D graphics via Direct2D i.e. it uses Surfaces (bitmaps) superimposed on one-another and on the screen. That how things were in DirectX v3 days.

- Newer games (along with their so-called "engines") use Direct 3D technology which deals with messes drawn onto polygons, a totally different approach.

- D/HF 256 colour bitmaps are also unique in the way they utilize the 00-FF character range to encode transparency and also RLE compression. While impressive in the economy of scale they achieve, they do not lend themselves to manipulation outside the strict confines of D/HF.

- As for the source code, it won't be of much help either since it is focused on these specific formats only.

Regards,
ArthurDent

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Dark Graphics - Save .cl2 animation [solved] - by ArthurDent - 04-01-2014, 06:41 AM