Path of Exile free to play in about six hours.
I find the crafting system rewarding but also frustrating. Getting a five link in a few fusings when you know it takes hundreds is really satisfying, but at the same token when RNG gets you back and you spend over a thousand jeweller's to six socket an item, but come up empty, hurts.

I do find the average drop rate to be very low, so getting enough fusings to five or six link an item can take a month or longer for the average player. If you spend time setting up a shop or trading it may expedite the process, but I doubt it unless you're farming map drops (especially in default, it's hard enough selling in Hardcore). And that won't last long, I've heard reports of currency value getting screwed up in default due to external money sites, so decent items you try to sell won't be worth much. In Hardcore I'm able to sell items fairly often from map drops for several chaos to exalts.

As far as Action RPG's goes, this game offers a near endless quest to improve your character. There's so much time and currency needed to five or six link your items, get 20% quality on all gems, and find/craft/trade high HP/Armor/ES/tri-res gear.

But I am enjoying the map system, an end-game that is very random in content. I can not farm Act 3 in Diablo 3 ever again due to repetition, but the end-game farming in Path of Exile greatly changes based on the maps you roll. Although it's not easy getting a character to run maps, my 76 Hardcore Marauder is having a hell of a time surviving.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Path of Exile free to play in about six hours. - by MonTy - 04-11-2013, 01:07 AM