The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short
(07-24-2012, 10:14 PM)Lissa Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 09:09 PM)RedRadical Wrote: I got well over 500 hours logged - but much of that time was spent doing fruitless Imprisoned Angel/Butcher runs. The bottomline is, the loot system is HORRIBLE. It is completely uninspiring, uninteresting, and unrewarding. There is a stick, but no carrot. The fact you even need the best gear just to progress at a reasonable rate on the highest difficulty is indication of a broken system - with a grossly inflated GAH to boot unless you are in the 1% you cannot afford said gear without opening up your wallet. Inferno is horribly over-tuned. And now we got invulnerability bugs - yep. Even though they hotfixed it, it matters not - there are too many other issues and Blizz doesn't seem to be in any rush to fix them - and when they do - they usually just make it worse (see 1.03). Quite simply, they are out of touch with what the gamers want.

I may log on once in a while to play my hardcore char, but other then that, I'm done. I'm not even excited about PvP at all, and as a PvP player I should be but I have little interest in the direction they are taking with it.

The loot system is not the issue ...

The loot system is part of the problem, at the very least. It's one thing to have gear requirements imposed by the various difficulty levels/acts, but when drops are as unvaried and generally unrewarding as they currently are, it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise that farming for gear (particularly, D3's implementation of farming) becomes even less desirable to many players than it already is, and that they unsurprisingly and understandably turn to the AH instead.

It is indeed an issue that one's progression in the game relies almost exclusively on one's items, or at least it is to players used to games doing it differently. However, that issue is further compounded by the items themselves, and the "natural" way of acquiring them, being samey at best and actively frustrating at worst (see: many of the elite packs one is liable to run across, which after all are what one has to kill in order to get those items to drop).
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short - by MMAgCh - 07-25-2012, 12:20 AM