The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short
...While Red goes too far in the other direction. CDs on potions was a wonderful idea and I'm glad to see that people can't be effectively invulnerable so long as they can keep pushing one button. I mean let's be serious here, the numbers of potions we had to cart into the Ancients fight sometimes just to eke through...but then the Ancients had to have the mechanics they did to be a true challenge in D2. Note those mechanics pretty much got transferred to every fight here - no mid-combat TPs, and a strict limit on how much healing you have available (in D2, it was the amount you could go through and pick up off the ground before the game auto-erased them.)

Similarly, CDs on skills allowed them to make a lot of skills they couldn't have otherwise. Mirror Image, Stomp, Fetish Army, stuff like Diamond Skin and Frost Nova that don't even have a resource cost...without CDs, these skills would have to be drastically altered or not exist at all.

So far as revive countdowns and repair costs...well, frankly, stop dying so much. If it had been me, and I were forced to this 60 level cap (not a decision I would have made), I'd have flat out stuck with XP loss on death - a full level after L50. The odd level loss would keep XP useful since you'd only ever permanently be at 60 if you didn't die. I guarantee we wouldn't have seen necrozerging if it dropped you down to L50. People would be playing much more carefully.

But yes, enrage timers and invulnerable minions can go die in a hole and horde/illusionist should not spawn with certain combos.
Finally satisfied that this, in fact, a game in the Diablo series.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short - by ViralSpiral - 07-09-2012, 09:05 AM