Patching 1.0.2c -- potentially nerfed mob damage
(06-14-2012, 06:26 AM)RedRadical Wrote: Well, the point of playing a Wiz or DH, is to kite. That is what ranged classes are designed to do, but this is pretty much impossible to do in Inferno - most mobs are naturally faster than you anyways, and when you throw on "fast", "teleport", "vortex", and "mortar" it doesn't make the game exciting, it makes it FRUSTRATING. The defensive skills mean little as a ranged class when you have a group of elite Soul Lashers headed your way and you die faster than you can say "oh shit". For the melee chars, it's a little bit better, but not much - fire chains, molten, frozen, and extra health shit on pretty much any Barb - and Ignore Pain and Revenge only help so much really. Inferno is a pure cheese fest that has little to do with player skill, and much more to do with player patience and how much abuse they can absorb. Maybe you like these faulty mechanics in your video games, but for me, they bring back horrible memories of the 1980's when kids would want to smash the nearest thing in sight because a game was frustrating to the point that you were seeing red.

I know the conversation is going in circles, but I nonetheless feel obligated to continue the circle:

1. There aren't any game mechanics that can't be solved with appropriate use of player skills and better gear

The mechanics are fine. Either you are not playing well, do not equip yourself appropriately with proper defensive skills, or you do not have the gear yet to play at the level you are trying to play at. If soul rippers are destroying you that fast, then most likely your gear isn't right. Of course, it is entirely possible that the appropriate gear for Acts 2 and 3 Inferno doesn't yet exist or drops so rarely that it might as well not exist. I do not dispute this. This gets back to my second mantra:

2. I believe that Blizzard held off on some gear while they waited to see what skill and farming exploits the community comes up with.

If playing the game at the level you are trying to play it at is like banging your head against the wall, then stop. Play a different class, play the Lurker Lounge tournament, start a hardcore character, work on various achievements, etc. Wait for 1.0.3 to come out and then try to push forward at that point. Blizzard has tacitly acknowledged that Inferno isn't where they want it, so they clearly are going to make some adjustments by making gear easier to find at an earlier level, making some gear better (at least legendaries), making crafting cheaper, and adjusting the damage and health of mobs in Inferno.

However, there is nothing at all wrong with the mechanics. If you have appropriate gear and are getting killed by the mechanics, then you need to learn to play, because every class is given skills and passives designed to counter those mechanics. However, what you describe sounds like you are playing at a level that your gear cannot support. If that's the case, stop playing at that level and do something else for the moment or at least recognize that you placed your character in that situation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patching 1.0.2c -- potentially nerfed mob damage - by MongoJerry - 06-14-2012, 06:47 AM