Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide
I saw nothing suggested over there that looks harmful (though I did see some misinformation and useless suggestions). DOSBox is useless for Diablo, since it is a Windows game.

Do you have access to any other computers? If you could copy your entire Diablo directory (with no special dll files added) to another system (preferably without Windows 8), pop in the CD and test it there, it might help determine if the issue resides within the game directory itself or something bunkered down in Windows somewhere.

I'm running out of ideas for why you're having trouble. I may have to ask a couple friends who have Windows 8 to dig up their Diablo CDs and see if they encounter similar issues. Can you tell me what brand of video your laptop has, if you know? Intel, NVIDIA, ATI?

I'm sorry you didn't have one of the simpler problems, sometimes it can take weeks, even months to troubleshoot something like this, but as a general rule things in computers don't randomly stop working. Something changed somewhere, and persistence may reveal it. I'll try and help if I can.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by Ange1Rob0t - 09-07-2013, 09:38 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by CaptainSassyPants - 02-12-2014, 02:10 AM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by VD99 - 03-11-2014, 06:11 AM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 06:15 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 06:32 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by Belix - 01-18-2015, 07:22 AM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by MASSSN - 03-15-2015, 07:04 PM