Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide
Oh, before I forget... when I read through this thread, I didn't see any mention of the multi-core processor chat crash. As far as I know this isn't a very common problem, but I still experience it to this day and have seen several other players over the past few years with the same problem.

When you press Enter to send a chat message on some multi-core processor systems, Diablo will sometimes crash to the desktop. This happens in Windows XP, not sure about newer ones. I don't run any mods that could be responsible or anything like that.

The fix for this is easy, but a little inconvenient. You need to use the Task Manager to tell Windows to run Diablo only on a single process core/thread each time you start the game. I have never crashed when sending a message after doing this.

I would explain step-by-step how to do this, but there are tons of guides all over the web with pictures that may be easier to follow than a lengthy explanation. Google "set processor affinity Windows ####" and replace #### with your operating system (XP, Vista, W7, etc) for the instructions.

It is rather frustrating for the players that do experience it, especially if they were the one who opened the Town Portal and were chatting in town with their companions! I hope that this helps someone.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatability Guide - by Belix - 12-19-2011, 07:02 AM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by Ange1Rob0t - 09-07-2013, 09:38 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by CaptainSassyPants - 02-12-2014, 02:10 AM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by VD99 - 03-11-2014, 06:11 AM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 06:15 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 06:32 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by MASSSN - 03-15-2015, 07:04 PM