Pick up and serve yourself!?
>I wonder how many "100% legit" players in here would have come out using exactly the SAME equipment

I know how you feel about this. I myself have seen plenty of equipment that several characters carry, but all of them claim they found it, traded with a trusted friend, or something else. One in particular is this A fpm o S, rated 75 ac, +150% +8 to all. Its sad because that is actually a really good plate, but I am sure the original is long gone. I would guess this happens because some people rip it from the other character, then go trade with another legit in a different game - or give it away. The problem with scanners is that the new legit scans this guy with the ripped plate, and the scanner shows the plate is legit. So the guy accepts the trade.

The problem is that both characters with the plate acquired a "legit" plate that they both believe is fine. One traded fair and square, and the other one found it (perhaps). If they ever cross paths, neither will be quick to give it up because it is such a good item and they both think they got it through legit means.

If you aren't using the scanner, you might be more apt to use common sense. Who would trade you that plate for anything you could offer? Probably no one who didn't rip it - its way too good to trade it away. If one does use the scanner, however, they might be apt to take it for its word and not question whatsoever that the plate is ripped.

Another thing, it is possible to change the code of a given item so that is differs from the original, but because each has a different code, the game treats them as two UNIQUE items. They will not even destroy themselves when dropped on the ground together. This is obviously cheating. This means that a scanner would show both plates to be legit even if the copy and original are in the same game! When you evaluate the item based upon common sense instead of using a scanner, it will become immediately apparent that two identical items of high value and rarity with virtually never exist, so cheats have to have been used in one form or another.

A solution I have choosen to follow is playing as a purist instead of playing naked. This means that your character only uses items they find or buy themselves (what you consider to be found or bought yourself is a personal preference. Some say you can only use items that drop from enemies you killed yourself, or only buy what the vendors sell you personally). I am not too strict with the purity - I will let other players buy me items from Griswold if they get a good sale, or I can use anything that drops from enemies as long as I am down there helping clear the levels. For my mainstream characters I also allow them to swap items between themselves. This isn't really a variant by any means - just a system to be sure that everything you have is legit. Usually I am not too worried about people who steal items with trainers or the such. For one: you probably won't have great enough items to steal and use anyways, and two: if I ever do see a copy of my item in the future, I don't get too bothered because I know that I found it myself.

P.S. (OT) Does my avatar look gold? I was going for the tripple-dotted-golden-icon look from Diablo chat. Perhaps when photoshop behaves I will emboss three dots on the top.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!

Messages In This Thread
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by Barsine - 02-25-2003, 08:39 PM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by --Pete - 02-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by Az3ar - 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by Thecla - 02-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by the Langolier - 02-26-2003, 09:41 AM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by NiteFox - 02-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by Az3ar - 02-27-2003, 01:40 AM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by Barsine - 02-27-2003, 11:44 AM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by the Langolier - 02-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by Cytrex - 02-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Pick up and serve yourself!? - by Zenda - 02-28-2003, 05:43 PM