Wishful Thinking
Interesting. We have such different desires -- here's my wish list, and I think we don't even overlap once!

#1. Please please please release a version of Classic Diablo that can be loaded to hard drive. No more disk spin! It would be nice if this would take care of the time needed to load dungeon levels (including using Town Portals), but even if it didn't, I'd be willing to plunk down my money all over again to buy a copy of Diablo that loads to hard drive (perhaps a Ten Year Anniversary Edition?). You don't have to change a SINGLE aspect of the game -- not monsters, magic, money, graphics, sound, ANYTHING -- just let it load to Hard Drive. (And please don't send loyal fans on an Internet search to find a CD Emulator or Virtual CD program that requires downloading, installing, rebooting, and updating. Simply make it an option when installing the original game.)

#2. Use more game items graphics. When I started playing The Dark ( a Diablo Mod), my jaw nearly fell open when I saw all the fantastic items graphics -- and my jaw literally DID fall open when I found my first Civerb's Cudgel! What a cool graphic! Then there's all the bands and amulets, Stonecleaver (what IS that?!?!), Magestinger, the Emperor's Plate, the Acolyte's Amulet, the Ring of Battle, the Leather of Aut (new graphic), Mindcry (new graphic), plus the new graphics of the standard skullcap, longbow, breastplate, scale mail, . . . . I could go on and on. When you find all these different/new graphics in a mere MOD, Classic Diablo begins feeling . . . . unfinished, or rushed to production. Were all these graphics available in the original? Or were they added with Hellfire? And my question then would be if a mere Mod maker -- not a salaried employee of Blizzard -- can somehow figure out how to make these changes, why can't Blizzard? (Apologies to the Mod makers about use of the word "mere" -- I use it just to emphasis a point. Your work is amazing!)

#3. Patch some more bugs, and address the bug list at the Lurker Lounge. Now I'm not saying FIX every bug mentioned at the LL; just MENTION that you (Blizzard) looked into it and can/cannot do it. It seems a shame that the most loyal fan-base for Diablo has pretty much been ignored by Blizzard for every single Diablo "patch" that comes out. It's hard to endure nine patch releases when not ONE addresses certain bugs, some of which -- again -- Mod-makers have fixed in their games! Argh! If the Mod-makers can do it, why can't Blizzard?

#4. Add some new bosses. Let's see Lord of the Pit and Webwidow and Fleshdancer in the regular game. How difficult is this to do when the Mod-makers have ALREADY DONE IT?

Now nearly all of the above all seem possible: again I point out, the Mod-Makers have already done most of them. My next wish will probably be impossible but here goes . . . .

#5. Notice how the numbers of Diablo players has dropped to nearly nothing? (Log on to Diablo and type in /users. Probably less than 1000 players online in Diablo. I can remember 30K online in Diablo alone.) One of the reasons players log onto Multiplayer is to do just that -- play with other players (multi). But the cheating, hacking, and pking is so rampant now that creating a game and actually expecting public players to show up who wish to play the game the way it was initially designed in a co-op atmosphere . . . well, that's just an exercise in futility and shows how naive you are. Let's face it -- Diablo is extremely Multiplayer UNFRIENDLY _if_ you actually desire to play a co-op, standard, public game.

When playing co-op, the players seek to kill the monsters in the game, and NOT each other. Yet the way Blizzard has the game presently presented, an unfriendly player can WITH ONE CLICK go "player hostile" and quickly "ruin" the game for the other players present. Not only that, there is NO WAY you as a co-op player can prevent this from happening. So, technically, Blizzard FORCES you to play with potential Pkers every game you player; Blizzard gives you NO OTHER RECOURSE in multiplayer public games.

I know that Everquest has No-PK realms. Can Blizzard do this also? Disable the Player Attack mode there? Yes, it wouldn't be a total fix (friendly fire would still be anything but) but this would at least bring back SOME players to the multiplayer game. Would this mean increased revenues for Blizzard or no? Wouldn't this be a win-win scenario?

Of course, along with that Blizzard would have to introduce some sort of "hack check" or "cheat check" which would go over the parameters of each players' spells and items -- looking out for the infamous "Dreamflange ring" and "Demonspike hat" and Godmode and TownKill spells. Those players with those things would be denied entrance to the Realm.

I have no idea if that is possible, but this is just a 'wish'.

Anyone else see the irony in that wanting to play a public co-op game using standard rules/items/spells without threat of Pk is the most impossible wish of all?

Eh.

Still love the game. Just don't play public games anymore.

Attika

Messages In This Thread
Wishful Thinking - by Taem - 06-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Hammerskjold - 06-05-2003, 04:41 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Draconis - 06-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Puma - 06-05-2003, 07:29 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Nystul - 06-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Nystul - 06-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Wishful Thinking - by Attika - 06-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Wishful Thinking - by Hammerskjold - 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Wishful Thinking - by LemmingofGlory - 06-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Wishful Thinking - by Taem - 06-06-2003, 02:27 AM