A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long)
Greetings everyone.

Before I begin, I need to give you a little information. I went into this with a rather colored view of the MMORG genre of games. I thought that they were scams. I mean, who pays $60 to be able to install software on thier PC, and then have to pay $20/month to be able to play it, since it's not available offline. So in order to play a game, people are paying, really, $100-$120 to start playing a game, and $20/month after that. That's what I called a scam.

World of Warcraft is a rather unique world, compared to the others that I have seen, but I know that I "haven't seen nothin' yet" with my level 9 Night Elf Warrior. Heck, I just started her what....3 days ago. But what I've seen is rather impressive. And I'm not saying this because I'm a massive fan of Blizzard's games. I'm someone that hasn't played ANY game very actively in about 5 years. Here's what I've learned:

1) Gameplay - The game world looks incredible, though there's one drawback to it. You have to have a pretty decent video card, or you're going to be hurting - not only with your frame rate, but you're going to be doing a lot of running through the forest as a ghost, recovering your body. (Trust me, I know this one..... ask Bolty).

2) Quests - The quests seem simple enough, where you're helping someone out by doing something for them... and in return, you get either cash or an item of your choice. And sometimes both. Now granted, any reward for a quest was promptly sold and better equipment bought, but for the most part, the Quests are entertaining.

3) Community - It's going to be interesting. I got "Trainned" a couple of times, but I think, hey, that's just because people are learning the game, and this poor person realized that the Nightsaber that he thought that he could take on alone was really tearing him to shreds, so he ran...and woke up very monster along the way, and this chacing them right past me, where either the monsters break off, or they really do succeed in killing them. But when the monsters break off from the pursuit, they stick close by. I've been swarmed a couple of times because of this happening.

I've run into people that thought that I should do all the work in a party. I was a level 6, met up with a level 7 to take care of a quest. My quest companion said something to the effect of "You tank, and I'll attack them from behind." Little did they realize that they were the same class that I was - Warriior. He ended up running off (while still in the party), getting attacked by a nightsaber, and then comes hauling a%$ right back to me. Then he dies,, and he's says "Dude, where were you?" He didn't see the "hold - I need to heal" statement.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of trouble makers there will be when the game goes public. I'm sure that you'll have your bands of

Messages In This Thread
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Saxywoo - 03-31-2004, 06:05 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Saxywoo - 03-31-2004, 06:06 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Saxywoo - 03-31-2004, 06:08 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by BEEFMOTRTON - 03-31-2004, 07:27 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by DeeBye - 03-31-2004, 07:50 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Jarulf - 03-31-2004, 03:10 PM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Saxywoo - 04-01-2004, 04:29 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Roland - 04-01-2004, 08:19 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Roland - 04-01-2004, 08:21 AM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by DarkCrown - 04-01-2004, 06:45 PM
A MMORG Skeptic's POV (long) - by Syl_Aran - 04-01-2004, 10:50 PM