Some More IM Tactics: the Thinking Cap
Ok Att, now that we are sure of it's use, the real question is when to ID it.

Say for example TC drops in dungeon level 2 or 3 or even anywhere in church for that matter. Do you ID it right away, or leave it for Cats, Caves or Hell.

My Opinion would certainly be NO to IDing it in Church. You don't need the extra mana and extra spell levels to survive church. Although in a three way session with no HB for Leoric an extra couple of levels on FB would certainly be the safer option (unless you have Att and a hunter's bow :) )

Leaving it for Cats would allow the TC to be used on Goat Shrines. The smart team would have TC equipped for Goat Shrines anyway for the chance of hidden shrines (Hidden shrines obviously can't destroy items - so you will definately have 11/11 durability if one is touched) and this way a slot isn't wasted on an already ID'd TC if a goat shrine turns out to be glimmering.

After levels 1-8 are completed - you either know whether or not you have a solid glimmering shrine and if one has been found, one tends to leave it as long as possible before using it, with the end of 15 being the ideal time for maximum effectiveness. Another magic helm is surely gonna drop so leaving TC to be ID'd would be unneccessary and therefore if a glimmering and TC are found in the same game, IDing the TC via scroll should be done immediately to start conserving mana and health pots.

From the latter stages of cats and more particularly in Caves, archers are replaced by magic/melee enemies such as Lava Throwers. The great thing about TC is that it also resists all 20% and we all know that magic attacks only wear down durability if a character is not resistant as Nystul has said. So though it wouldn't stand a chance against surviving arrows it will not be destroyed by any form of magic attack. So even at Durability of 1 it can be worn with safety throughout this stage of the game and indeed later (witches etc.) as long as a mage does what he is supposed to do, which is of course to avoid melee damage at all costs.

Ideally having an unID'd TC for the cauldron's in hell for the double chance of hidden/glimmering would be great but surely it's use in caves where the game can really start to get tough and a party needs healing regularly would outway the use of the extra potions it would take to survive without it.

Attika, you are definately right in that a TC is a great find and should be Id'd , but if found i would be adamantly against my party IDing it before either a glimmering shrine had been found or all goat shrines have been accounted for and hit by the warrior, unless the party was in dire straits.

*Note - Att and I currently have a paused two way IM Rouge/Sorcerer combo who have found a TC in Church. Something tells me we won't have the luxury of leaving it unid'd for all of cats but we will be sure to post it's effectiveness when we are finished, if i don't do something stupid like die or get it destroyed that is.

I'm interested to see if anyone feels it should be ID'd straight away, i have a habit of being too strict when it comes to IDing in IM.
Aarda's still throwing roses at the rain...

Messages In This Thread
Some More IM Tactics: the Thinking Cap - by Hureg - 07-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Some More IM Tactics: the Thinking Cap - by Hureg - 07-20-2005, 05:37 AM