Question about an item
LemmingofGlory,Aug 24 2005, 01:22 PM Wrote:Going by JG, Hellfire's list of un/findable unique items is incorrect. In mutliplayer, RoE cannot drop because Gladiator's Ring has a lower qlvl and exists at a higher position in the unique list. i.e. When game scans for a unique ring of qlvl > 9, it scans the list and finds GR at the very first position, thus dropping it. If the uniques were properly ordered, it would find GR for 9 < qlvl < 11 and RoE for qlvl > 10.

But, again, this is known from someone (Kp) reading the code. Gaming experience showed that RoE did not drop properly, but understanding the algorithm explains why it does not (which is important if one wishes to fix/avoid the problem in their own mods).

-Lemmy
[right][snapback]87086[/snapback][/right]

That particular table is actually a bit of a sorrow for me since I have never got to fix it and the text associated with it (including notes in other places in the guide regarding the issue). More specifically, this is how they morph in a new game. Right now, it only talks about the Lightforge for this for example. The error you mention is a known one and it, among a few others (including clearing up the mess of uniques that does not drop) is actually fixed in a not finnished and not released v1.63 version of the Guide. I do have a list of errors in form of saved mails and my own notes that I have tried to update. Unfortunately I never got arround to finnish it completely and also unfortunately, I think I have not made a complete list of each little change (as for 1.61 and 1.62 for example). Perhaps I get arround to it some time soon, it has been my intention for long. We have to see.

As always, I do still take submissions for errors in the guide, here they can be sent thorugh PM most easilly. My old mail, used for the guide before do no longer work by the way.

I can't off the top of my head tell if there is any known errors in the guide regarding item creation other than the one associated with non dropable uniques. I think there might have been one or two things I fixed, but I don't have the guide or notes here now but if you believe there is, please tell.

And yes, I looked over the relevant code section before replying now since it was so long ago that I didn't want to speak out of my memory alone about the exact mechanism of unique selection. Interestingly enough, there is a non used random selection roll but the result is discarded, one can only speculate what it was supposed to do, probably pick among the selcted possible uniques.

As it is now, the game goes through all uniques, building a list with the ones that fullfill the level requirements and is of the correct type marked. It will not mark allready droped items if it is a single player game. Next it makes the Rnd[10] roll and ignore the result. It then starts from the start of the list of unique items again, going thorugh it all until it reaches the last item marked in the list previously built and drop that one (it goes through until it has passed the number of uniques marked as the counter of how many it marked first). That seems to at least sugest there was some sort of randomness to which one to pick as oposed to the current, drop the one of sufficiently high level that is last in the list of uniques. Oh well, the mysteries of code and comments that won't end up compiled :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Messages In This Thread
Question about an item - by duner - 07-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Question about an item - by MMAgCh - 07-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Question about an item - by Selby - 07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Question about an item - by duner - 08-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Question about an item - by Ashock - 08-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Question about an item - by sojourn - 08-09-2005, 01:47 AM
Question about an item - by TheKingofKewl - 08-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Question about an item - by TheKingofKewl - 08-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Question about an item - by Lunan - 08-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Question about an item - by Brogden - 08-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Question about an item - by Lunan - 08-23-2005, 08:36 PM