Implementation of an Idea
Hi, NatNit,

NatNit,Apr 19 2006, 06:32 AM Wrote:Note: I've been playing this game for some time, and have never done anything that I considered cheating, and I have no intention of starting now. So don't misconstrue anything I say in this post. :)

To start, I've read these articles on scanners:

Archive of Chaos

Hmmm, glad to see the old site is still of use to someone. :)

>>Now, the issue. I have a problem. I'm a packrat, and I've come to terms with it. In my most recent stint on Diablo 2, I used the program ATMA (for those of you that are familiar with it) that essentially allows one to trade among single player characters. For me, this greatly increased the longetivity of the game, and made it more enjoyable.

Ah, I know the trials and tribulations of being a packrat - my sympathies. :( :D

>>Why don't I just go out on bnet and transfer there? To be honest, I have no problem doing that, but 1) there simply aren't enough people on to help me do this, and 2) even if there are, they're likely to be playing a game and not just lounging around waiting to help me.

One issue not addressed by you or anyone else, is, do you play multi on b-net for any other reason than to transfer items?

If not, then just install Diablo, patch it to 1.07 or 1.08, use one of the programs mentioned, and don't bother to go online at all. It's also possible to have both 1.07 and 1.09 on your machine at once, just change the name of the directory as appropriate depending on whether you want to play on-line or not. Although this, of course, would leave any 1.09-derived items not backed up.

I haven't been on b-net for years, never was big into on-line play, mostly just kibitzed in channel, or the last couple of years of the DSF, just played during reunions. :)

So, when I install Diablo these days, I just patch it to 1.07, and, if necessary, I can still use the item files I exported back when 1.07 was current.

At least some trainers allow you to name the items as you like, so you could put in parentheses any info you want to keep track of about that particular item (there may be limits on the # of characters you can have in the name less than Windows allows). So, for example, after the name King's Broad Sword of Haste, you could add: (110% to hit, +45 DAM). This is basically what I do. [and those numbers are probably way off what is appropriate for a KBSOH, I just pulled them out of thin air for illustration]

It's interesting that people referred to Stu's "auto-destroy upon import/export' function, which totally screwed up a couple of my characters, after which I quit using his program. Frankly, if one set's rules for how you will use item files that don't allow cheating, and have the will-power to follow those rules, why do you need a program to enforce legit behavior? Apparently, most suspect (or know :) ) they don't have the will-power to follow their own self-prescribed rules, and will give in to the temptation to fudge the boundaries of legit play. lol Hmmm, could be a master's thesis in that whole area. B)

If you do pursue this, more power to you, but if you don't have to re-invent the wheel, why bother?

Added in edit: OK, the above was written on 3 hours sleep in prior 28 or so hours, and I wasn't thinking too clearly - obviously, if NatNit has been playing in 1.09 or what ever the current version is, he will have characters/items that need backing up that won't be backwardly compatible with version 1.07 or 1.08. This occurred to me a half-hour or so after posting and getting off the internet. :rolleyes:

So, basically, ignore my entire post... :P

Regards,

Dako-ta

Messages In This Thread
Implementation of an Idea - by NatNit - 04-19-2006, 06:32 AM
Implementation of an Idea - by Hammerskjold - 04-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Implementation of an Idea - by Toverkol - 04-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Implementation of an Idea - by NatNit - 04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Implementation of an Idea - by NatNit - 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Implementation of an Idea - by Thenryb - 04-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Implementation of an Idea - by LennyLen - 04-20-2006, 02:00 AM
Implementation of an Idea - by NatNit - 04-20-2006, 02:19 AM