Rebirth Expansion
Rebirth Expansion is a Diablo 1 modification which considers itself to be something of an expansion to the game. It was recently released, and contains an ever growing community of legit players. If you are looking for a refreshing new game, which ultimately this mod is, you are advised to check it out. I haven't done any part in the creation of the game, but that's not going to stop me from helping to advertise it. =)

You can find the download of the mod, as well as forums and other information at http://www.diablorebirth.net/

As for a description of ReX (Rebirth EXpansion):

It includes a lot of features of Diablo mods, somewhat compiled into one game. The town itself has becomed more centralized, complete with a rather fresh look. At the moment, it contains only 16 levels, but promises future additions to the game with blocked off entrances inside two houses, a cave, and a second catacombs. You can also run in town, which is helpful. As for running, the only possible way to run in dungeons is by finding a Perpetual shrine, which allows you to move and attack and increased speeds for the rest of the level.

Item damage has been increased significantly, with many attribute combinations possible. For example, I found a King's Bow of the Zodiac. Many of the affixes have been tweaked, changed, or are brand new. For example, "of Hope" replaces Harmony, and "of the Zodiac" is from +12-15 all. However, there is also the addition "of the Galaxy" and "of the Universe" affixes, which allow, I believe, +16-20 and +21-25 to all.

The Uniques have also been altered, many of them having variable stats on them. For example, I've found two Eaglehorn bows, one of which added +38 Dexterity and +19 to all attributes, and the other +34 Dexterity and +14 to all attributes. Other Uniques seek to relate to the storyline, such as the helm "Izual's Glance" or the armor "Pepin's Tunic."

Many new spells have been added, or revamped. There is the removal of fireball, which is instead replaced by an arcane-star fire attack known as Psycho Beam. The use of this is minimal in later levels though, as fireghtning immune undeads are somewhat prevalent, requiring the use of "Holy Energy," the D1 Holy Bolt. One spell I found particularly exciting was the "Summon Infernal" spell, which gives you a Warrior clad in plate to beat on enemies for you.

As a new unique feature, skills become useful by all classes throughout the game. The Fighter (Warrior) has the ability to stone curse enemies, albeit for a rather short time. The Thief (Rogue) has a skill which combines infravision and search, and also allows a player to tell what a magical item on the ground is, but will not be able to identify it. The Wizard (Sorcerer) has the Identify skill, which helps them a bit in the early game, as a good deal of their money is going into potions if played solo.

Unlike every other RPG that I've played, experience is shared, but not divided. This means that a level 35 character can help kill monsters in the church to help a level 1 character there. There are measures in place (which unfortunately are easily bypassed) that disallow the entering of portals to levels which could not regularly be accessed by that character. Exploitation of this allows a level 1 to be brought up to level 15 or 20 or so in about a half hour, known as being taxied.

The mod also includes one long awaited feature by Diablo 1 players, a stash. It takes the form of an NPC with a menu allowing you to "Take Item" or "Deposit Item." As far as I know, there are no limits to the number of items that can be stored, including gold or potions, and the stash remains static for any character that you log on as, removing the need for both mules and item transfers. At the moment, there exist errors which cause your stash to be reset if you change your characters name, or create a new one, but this is easily avoided by removing all items before doing such a thing.

Other than this, my ReX experience has been very solid, with a large community of both Poland and Italian players, nearly all of which seem good-spirited. There are, of course, PK's, but they add to the fun of the game, because unlike most D1 PK's, they are doing so legitimately, and you have a fair chance of fighting them off as they do of killing you.

The true reason why ReX shines is because it is what D1 legitimates have wanted, a haven away from all of the problems associated with Battle.net. The ease in setting up a connection to the game's private server is simply a download away. This may be a task for 56k users, as it weighs in at about 55 megabytes, but other than that is simple to use. Simply install the game, and start it. After the D1 SP Lazarus cinematic, you can start playing through the multiplayer server. At the moment, there are around 1500 characters registered, with anywhere from 10 players at low hours to 50 or 60 during peak times.

I've only been playing for less than a week, and already I can tell that ReX will be improving and innovating for a good time to come. You will find plenty of cooperation and competition, whichever it is that you are searching for.:)

(A cross-posting from the DSF Forums.)

Messages In This Thread
Rebirth Expansion - by Alamara - 08-12-2006, 03:37 AM
Rebirth Expansion - by Heidi - 09-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Rebirth Expansion - by Kay - 09-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Rebirth Expansion - by Heidi - 09-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Rebirth Expansion - by Alamara - 09-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Rebirth Expansion - by Heidi - 09-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Rebirth Expansion - by Kay - 09-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Rebirth Expansion - by Alamara - 09-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Rebirth Expansion - by Kay - 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Rebirth Expansion - by the Langolier - 09-19-2006, 05:04 AM