Well, after all these years, I'm playing again
Hi,

Quote: . . . (until you got level 8 CL and teleport and started clearing the entire game in 2 minutes, but that's another story!).
Just build another Immortal and try again;)

In many ways, D1 is the best computer game I've ever played. It had a great mix of tactics and twitch. At mid levels (say up to a 3@30) it had reasonable balance. It wasn't overly dependent on gear -- most good players could get through hell-hell at 30 with anything but the worst drops. It could be played solo or with a group and still remain very interesting.

It does have some shortcomings. There are some bad blunders in the program, especially some of the problems with MS. The progression of difficulties is poorly done, with nightmare church being about the same difficulty as normal caves. And single player should have more and better difficulty levels -- to have the full spectrum of quests and the monster stats of multi would be fun.

One of the beauties of the game is its relative limited viable options for a build/class. Instead of having to work out the interactions of a brazzilion page manual, a good player would get through with a limited set of tactics, applied with timing and precision.

Of course, it is humorous when people speak with wonder at its longevity. Compared to chess, backgammon, go, etc., it's a brand new game. It's a shame that, since it is a computer game, it will probably not have a chance at having a similar lifespan.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Well, after all these years, I'm playing again - by --Pete - 12-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Well, after all these years, I'm playing again - by OldSchoolForLife - 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM