Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
Hi fhansen,

The 'please insert the Diablo CD' error is thanks to the default configuration of the PlugUlmo.ini file as included in Marsh's Mod. It tells the game to look for the CD data file in the current directory instead of on the actual CD. Reading the data file from the game folder makes the game run better, but you can also revert to reading from the CD if you prefer. Without Loader.exe the changes in the file won't be applied, so you'll have to choose which way you want to go:

To run from your drive/folder: Copy DIABDAT.MPQ off of the Diablo CD (not Hellfire!) into the Hellfire directory where Loader.exe is. You should now be able to run the game and apply the modifications.

To run from the CD: Edit 'PlugUlmo.ini' in the Hellfire directory with a text editor, and change the following two entries:
Disable_CD_protection=YES --> Disable_CD_protection=NO
use_DIABDAT_from_HD=YES --> use_DIABDAT_from_HD=NO

Sorry for the confusion. After using Marsh's mod for so long now I forget other people encounter this puzzle when they first try to use his stuff. I need to add notes about it (EDIT: Done, I noted this problem in the main post), or even consider overriding his default settings so that new users of Marsh's mod have a working experience out of the box and can change to run from the drive later if they want.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hellfire v1.02.A3 - an Unofficial Update for Marsh's mod - by Belix - 03-05-2014, 10:13 PM
A5 progress update - by Belix - 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM