Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
Hellfire v1.02.A5 - an Unofficial Update for Hellfire [obsolete]

This project is pretty much obsolete now. If you're here looking for the best way to enjoy something very close to the original Diablo/Hellfire experience, I strongly encourage you to check out DevilutionX, which is a project based on a full recreation of the game's original source code; it will offer as many or more bug fixes & QOL improvements as my patch-mod ever did, as well as vastly improved support for modern operating systems!

Check out that sweet DevilutionX over here:
DevilutionX Releases

Seriously though, you shouldn't bother with this any more, but I'll leave the original thread and files here for posterity.

===========================

CTD Warning: The GOG version of this game changes the way the game reads MPQ files. Consequently, trying to use this mod with a GOG version will cause the game to crash to desktop. To fix this, download and drop these files on top of everything else last when you're done: HF-1.02.A5-GOGpatch.zip

NOTE: This update currently requires Marsh's Unofficial Hellfire Mod v1.02 [download mirrors for it are at the bottom of this post]. I apologize for the couple extra steps you have to take to use v1.02.A5. Instructions for the installation and usage of both Marsh's Mod are contained in the documentation, in both summarized and detailed form. Please review these instructions, as you'll currently have to do a little more than just extract the files into your Hellfire folder! If you're impatient, click here to skip directly to these instructions after you download the update.

Links (all hosted here on the Lounge):
Download
Documentation

Backup mirror in case Attachment breaks: --Tested working 10/23/18
http://www.servbox.dynu.net:44444/ftp/di...102_A5.zip

Contained herein is my update project for Hellfire. Its simple goal is to make Hellfire better without radically altering it or using any sounds or graphics from any other games. If you're looking for a Hellfire mod that adds new spells, monsters, graphics and so forth, you'll want to look elsewhere and check out stuff like The Hell, or The Dark.

If, however, you enjoy Hellfire largely the way it is, you should appreciate this update. Read on.

What it does:
• Fixes various bugs with the game
• Improves issues that aren't bugs, but are undesirable
• Tweaks a few things for player convenience
• Customizable (if you're comfortable with a text editor)
• 100% Pure Diablo & Hellfire: No audio or graphics from other games will ever be used in this project

Highlights:
• Many combat bugs (blocking, ranged attacks, bow affixes) fixed
• Anything that permanently damaged your character in a way that couldn't be restored (e.g. Max Life, Max Mana) has been fixed or disabled
• Improvements to Multiplayer (shared experience, see others on map)
• Most screechy/loud Hellfire sounds replaced with sounds (sometimes unused extras) from the original game

You can peruse the complete, most up-to-date list of fixes, changes and features included in this project here on the Lurker Lounge at the link at the top of this post. This documentation is also included in the download for your convenience, but may be not be as current as the one here on the website.

The customization aspect of this project is not as simple yet as I would like it to be - the file in each new version will essentially reset any features you turned on or off, and I'd like it if turning said features on or off was even easier than editing a text file to, but I am considering investing a significant amount of time to improve on this in a future version.

I hold my work to high standards and try my best not to break anything in the game. If you encounter a serious issue, please report it! If it is the fault of my work, I will make every effort to issue a fix or updated version ASAP!

I hope that this project makes Hellfire more enjoyable for you.

You may also be interested in...
Another little patch I made for hero graphics issues, such as the Bard flickering between bright and dark when attacking in plate with dual weapons. You can get that over here in this other thread:
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-15743.html

(2) working mirrors for Marsh's Unofficial Hellfire v1.02 mod as of 7/23/2018:
http://lurkerlounge.com/belix/HellfirePr...00-102.zip
http://thehellmod.ucoz.ru/Downloads/Mods...00-102.zip

Attached Files
.zip   Hellfire-102-102A5.zip (Size: 1.74 MB / Downloads: 1,422)

Messages In This Thread
Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish! - by Belix - 12-16-2013, 10:35 AM
A5 progress update - by Belix - 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM