A little tech rant. (Warning opinionated opinion is opinionated)
(03-13-2013, 01:45 AM)Taem Wrote: And Metro is just the next retarded step. I'm highly considering switching over to google products if MS keeps pumping out crap in terms of what I'll use in the future for office products, however I'm not sure what to do with Windows.... Perhaps I can give Linux a shot?

Well switching over to google apps is obviously a bad idea, at least according to this source.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/whymicrosoft/...hting.aspx

The source being, a 'I'm hip with it, I do t3h blogz' from a microserf.

A few of my favourite nuggets from that blogvertisement:
Quote:We’re about productivity, and to that end, we’re supporting the needs of all businesses by enabling them to work how, when and where they want.

Yeah...that is absolutely rich coming from a company that is delusional if it thinks Win8 is the cats ass for a business workflow.

Quote:At Microsoft, we don't make your business, our business.

Best. Freudian. Slip. Ever.

Quote:To be truly enterprise-class requires focus and a commitment to building solutions that work for a wide range of people. It requires complete commitment, not just your spare time. After five years, isn’t it time for Google to get that?

Funny that. It's one thing if Win8 is made as an easily user configurable for desktop mode, tablet mode, smartphone mode menu\display. Or clearly labelled as a consumer, entertainment, touch screen focused system.

But it's not, at least not at this time of writing. It does look like something fundamental was overlooked, like would a tablet\phone display style menu work on a regular desktop. Almost smacks of lack of commitment, or arrogance, or maybe just thought of in someones spare time.

After how many years, isn't it time for MS to get that?

I like one comment in another article, that basically says 'MS is not going anywhere. But there's two meanings to that.' Which I think is absolutely true.

This year, will not be the year of Linux. Sorry, I wish it was, but it won't be. At least not at consumer\business wide level yet. MS will still be the dominant OS for PC Wintel boxes, for a while yet.

Having said that. Support for Win 7 will last until 2020. So there is a window (nyuk nyuk) of 7 years for an upstart to come out of nowhere, and disrupt things.

Monopolies can last a long time, almost forever at times. Until they don't. I for one, can't wait for the day a David BOOM HEADSHOTZ this particular Goliath.

Imagine a Win style GUI OS, coming from an open source, lightning fast with little to no bloat (doesn't even need an SSD for speed, on a SSD, it goes super saiyan and flies at warp factor 9.9), supports Adobe products and office products, and costs under 100$. With no insane DRM. Far fetched, maybe. But it's what gives M$ the cold sweats at night.

I will for sure choose Win 7 for my upcoming work rig, but it will be a semi isolated workstation. It will not have a 24/7 net connection, or WIFI networked. It will be a Galactica class machine, and it will be beautiful.

It also has a very strong possibility to be the last machine I have to run a MS Win-xx OS. My future rig could very likely be a dual boot machine, or run some sort of Win style emulation. It's not what I prefer, but if MS continues on this path, I am left with no choice.

To re-wrap. MS is not going anywhere. Then again a static defense is also a static target. MS is still a behemoth, and should never be underestimated. The only reason I give 2 craps about it is a lot of my programs are tied to Windows. The second that is no longer true, I am absolutely pulling up a lawn chair to watch a dinosaur die. With a tub of popcorn.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A little tech rant. (Warning opinionated opinion is opinionated) - by Hammerskjold - 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM