Question about rights, royalties, and people re-recording your stuff.
Some of you may know, some of you may not know, I was in a band for the better part of my early and mid 20's. We recorded a full length album, had solid work done on the second album, and were working hard to try and make a name for us.

We'd played some nifty shows, and were starting to get noticed, and then it all fell apart. Our Drummer decided to go to the Marines, Our guitarist absconded to Alabama with a select few pieces of our gear (to sell as gas money along the way), and shortly after this, I decided it was time for me to move on. I had hree kids, was trying to finish up my degree, and while I and the Singer/Guitarist were the founding members of the band, I really never got over losing our drummer, who had become my best friend.

So I left. I don't regret it. I finished my degree, I'm still married (that'd be debatable if I were still in the band), I have great kids, and some killer memories.

Well, the Singer/Guitarist has reinvented the band, 7 EDIT 9 (wow I feel old now) years later. He has one of the old Guitarists with him (we had a revolving door at guitar for a while), and the drummer who replaced my best friend. I was asked to be a part of it, and I declined. It's just not something I'm interested in going back through that right now.

They want to go back into the studio, re-record some of the old tracks, with a few new tracks, and release it, and try to make a go of it. He has asked for my permission to re-record some of the songs that I cowrote. My initial urge was to say "How about you write some new stuff, and leave the old stuff alone?" But, I've been thinking about it, and really? As long as credit is given as being an author of the song, why do I care? I love the songs (well... ok, most of them) that we recorded.

As long as credit is given, and (if something were to "happen") any royalties handled, Should I really care? Or am I just being grumpy about it?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
Question about rights, royalties, and people re-recording your stuff. - by shoju - 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM