The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short
(07-09-2012, 06:41 PM)RedRadical Wrote: Totally disagree about D1 ending after killing Diablo on Hell mode. There was a MILLION other things to do after that. You could play Ironman, one of a thousand crazy variants, or PvP. PvP alone held on interest on D1 for a good 7+ years, and that in itself made me farm for the best possible gear even more so.

For me, D1 ended after killing Diablo in normal. Because I was playing off-line single-player, not part of any on-line game communities, and never found out until much later that there were higher difficulties I could have gone on to. Big fail on Blizzard's part there.

D2 I played a lot, but I never played any "end-game". I played one-pass full-clear from walking out of the rogue camp in normal to killing Diablo (or later Baal) at the end of hell, and then that character was done and I never played it again. PvP, level grind, boss-of-the-week-runs, item trading -- none of those appealed to me at all.

And then we have D3. Through to the end of hell mode I can play D3 in exactly the same way that I played D2. The gameplay of D3 is at least as much fun as D2 (which is a subjective opinion, but I find it so). And then there is inferno, which gives me a reason to carry on playing a character after they would have been finished in D2. Inferno gives me an end-game, for the first time ever in a Diablo game, and even if the balance is completely out-of-whack and I never manage to complete it on any characters, I still see it as pure bonus, an optional extra that I can play for as long as I find it fun.

Maybe I am the person that Blizzard was thinking of when they designed D3 Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short - by Jaffa Tamarin - 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM