The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short
Heya Eso, FIT here.

Sadly, I have to agree with your assessment almost entirely, although my feelings arent QUITE as harsh. Nevertheless, this game suffers from VERY deep flaws.

Normal-Hell is pretty fun actually, but Inferno is just complete trash. It is a total chore that punishes the gamer rather then challenges us to become better players as Hell difficulty did in prior games (in particular D1). What really annoys me though are the fan boys who were barely even born when the original Diablo came out, that love this game so much and tell critics like me "learn to play", when I would completely take them to school on D1 - a game which has MUCH more skill involved than D3 does and most likely ever will. Inferno is based entirely on how good your items are, and absolutely nothing else. If you gave any random person a char with decent defense stats and 100k DPS, they would faceroll Inferno np, regardless of their general skill as a gamer. And before anyone tries to argue "there is more to the game than Inferno", lets be real here.....the endgame has ALWAYS been the most important aspect and phase of a Diablo game, this isnt even up for debate. And D3, sadly, is very much lacking in this most critical element.

The cheesy mechanics of most monster traits need to go, as do the enrage timers, revive countdowns, cooldowns on potions, having cooldowns on more than half the skills, and the absurd repair costs. This game has been wow'i'fied, much to my (and many people's) disapproval. But I guess we have to face the facts: Blizz is a corporation whose bottomline is making profits - to the exclusion of everything else. Although they have always been this way, at least there was a time when they actually put emphasis and care into making quality games, but that time seems long past, and never to return. Which is really sad, because D3 DOES have the formula to be a great game - Blizz North practically handed the new Devs a masterpiece GIFT WRAPPED for them, and they still managed to eff it up. Sad.

The lack of randomness in environments is a huge flaw as well. In D1, it was fun going into hell and discovering what demons awaited you on level 13 for example. You could roll Balrogs and Witches, or Knights and Vipers, or a number of other monster combinations. On D3, when you get to a new Act, you know what monsters will show up for the most part....there are a few areas with some small variation but not much. And don't get me started on the items and the AH.......just thinking about it makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I just hit 50 on my WD tonight. IN the coming days when I 60 him, I will have done so on all 5 classes. I will finish Inferno with my Wiz, and after that, I think I am done. My hope is PvP will be something worthwhile to hold my interest, but considering they cant even balance PvM correctly, I have my doubts.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Diablo Formula and how Diablo 3 falls short - by FireIceTalon - 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM