The Unstoppable Force vs The Immovable Object
My first Barbarian was built more or less exactly according to the first style: Pure damage, with enough defenses to survive. This character hit level 60 in Act III of Hell, but it was a pain to get there. He was too glass-cannon and died more often than not. I never bothered even starting Act IV of Hell, as that was when I was sick of the constant dying.

I decided to try levelling a second Barbarian, but this one focused purely on survival (both because there's an achievement for having two of the same class at 60, and because I wanted to see the difference in levelling itself). This Barbarian completed all of Hell without hitting 60, and I had to go back to get more XP. I killed D again and Khom in Act III and that pushed me over. She had a total death count of maybe 4 or 5 at the time, all of which were because I was doing something wrong. She's in Inferno Act I at the moment, as I haven't focused on pushing into Act II (I haven't even completed all of the Act I quests yet). Most of my gameplay is solo, with occasional group play with my brother's Wizard.

The DPS Barbarian uses Cleave with Rupture, Furious Charge with Dreadnought, Berserker with Insanity, Revenge with Provocation, Battle Rage with Ferocity, and Warcry with Invigorate. The passive runes are Weapons Master, Ruthless, and Brawler.

The tank Barbarian uses more or less the exact same skills as you. Aside from Frenzy, Warcry and Revenge, she uses Wrath of the Berserker with Insanity, Furious Charge with Dreadnought, and Earthquake with Path of Fire. I only use Earthquake in conjunction with Wrath of the Berserker, so the rune doesn't really matter. The passives are the obvious ones: Nerves of Steel, Superstition, and Tough as Nails.

As much as I enjoy the DPS playstyle, it pales in comparison to be able to actually *survive* things, so I doubt I will bring out the DPS Barbarian much, if at all. On the other hand, the tank has maybe 6k DPS total, with a 600 DPS 1-hander.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Unstoppable Force vs The Immovable Object - by Taelas - 06-21-2012, 02:16 PM