Entering Hell, need to tweak my build...
I played Normal and Nightmare using a cold-themed build. I had a lot of fun with it (though late Act III and Act IV were becoming pretty difficult), but it will definitely not be viable in Hell and beyond. Before I start, yes, I know about Elective mode: I choose not to use it.

Primary: Shock Pulse/Piercing Orb. Sadly, no cold options here. Shock Pulse was great fun in Normal, and Piercing Orb kept it a strong option through Nightmare. I assume it will continue to be good across the rest of the game, but no one seems to use it. Is there some bad point I am failing to notice?

Secondary: Ray of Frost/Snow Blast. I use this on single targets or tough targets I need to selectively remove ASAP (eg Soul Lashers). The inability to kite makes it a lot harder to use than the omnipresent Arcane Orb, but I have been able to work it into my playstyle so far. Is it Hell/Inferno viable?

Defensive: Originally Frost Nova/Cold Snap, now Diamond Skin/Crystal Shell. In Nightmare, I was finding Frost Nova was not covering enough situations well enough and switched. Based on MongoJerry's comments, Diamond Skin sounds perfectly viable in Inferno.

Force: Blizzard/Frozen Solid. I will likely change the rune when I unlock more, but for the moment this is pretty good. A chance for an opponent to take more damage? Hell yeah! I have been laying corridors of Blizzards that enemies walk through, while pelting them with Shock Pulse. Definitely not as easy/powerful as the conventional Hydra strategy, but will it remain viable in higher difficulties?

Conjuration: Ice Armour/Crystallize. I have had a lot of fun with this rarely-utilised skill, but I do recognise it is too unreliable for the higher difficulties. I hate both Magic Weapon and Energy Armour on principle (they should just be passives!), but do I have to use one of them? Has anyone used Familiar at higher difficulties? Are the Runes all fairly viable, or very situational?

Mastery: Archon/Teleport. I recognise Mirror Image is probably necessary in Inferno difficulty, but Archon is just so much fun to use! Would I be able to continue through Hell with Archon, or is Mirror Image too important to leave out?

Passives: Blur, Astral Presence, Cold Blooded. All pretty self explanatory, really.

I currently use a one-hander and a source, but anticipate I will need to switch in a shield. Will I need to do so ASAP, or is that more of an Inferno concern?
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.

Messages In This Thread
Entering Hell, need to tweak my build... - by Elric of Grans - 06-15-2012, 01:02 AM