Jay Wilson interview
(08-16-2011, 07:27 PM)Zippyy Wrote: Heart Roland!

In the video, Jay talks about their idea of changing the colored-rune system to a level-rune system. In the level-rune system, runes won't have a "color" and will be of levels 1-7. In that system, runes basically act as skill points; the higher the level of the rune in your skill, the more effective the skill is. Frankly, this sounds boring as hell to me. Fortunately, he said that was just an idea being tossed around. I hope it doesn't make it in. Colors for life!

So that's what he was babbling about! I lost the thread halfway through the video, and just never quite understood what he was babbling about. I listened about the different levels, and wasn't very impressed with that design. When they talked about scrapping the Rune system, though, I thought they meant entirely, not just the leveled version. That's comforting. I love the idea that they've implemented as it is, even if it's not as... urgh, can't think of the word(s) I want to say. Streamlined? Clean? Consistent? Anyway, I don't care necessarily that all Amber Runes don't function 100% the same way, so long as there's information available that tells us what they do. I could even see combining the system (Levels + the current system), although that may be overly complex (not to mention tedious on the player). At any rate, we both agree that the alternate system he talked about sounds abysmal compared to what they've come up with, so I hope they don't decide to change it. It shows much more originality and creativity than the leveled system, if I'm understanding it correctly.

(08-16-2011, 07:27 PM)Zippyy Wrote: I must say I'm not bothered by their apparent waffling on things. It gives some insight into their design process and I find that interesting (not worrying :p). I've never created a game, but on the big software projects I have worked on, planning everything up-front is always a recipe for disaster. That's probably why I'm not bothered by the waffliness of their announcements.

Still, I definitely take your point that the two rune systems are drastically different, and something that huge should have been decided a long time ago.

Yes, something that huge should have been better thought-out from the get-go, and the Rune system is far from the only system they've done this to (Skills and Attributes being two other noteworthy ones). As for their waffling stance, I can see your point. It just makes me a little apprehensive overall, especially when they start talking about scrapping entire systems (or changing them to a much more boring variant).

(08-16-2011, 07:27 PM)Zippyy Wrote: +1 for paper manuals, especially if I get to read them in the passenger seat while my mom drives me home from the game store :p
+1 for being engrossed in the story and atmosphere
+1 for crispy, golden, breathtakingly delicious waffles

Big Grin
Roland *The Gunslinger*

Messages In This Thread
Jay Wilson interview - by Zippyy - 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM
RE: Jay Wilson interview - by Layil - 08-10-2011, 06:48 PM
RE: Jay Wilson interview - by --Pete - 08-10-2011, 11:53 PM
RE: Jay Wilson interview - by Zarathustra - 08-11-2011, 01:01 AM
RE: Jay Wilson interview - by Zippyy - 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
RE: Jay Wilson interview - by Nystul - 08-15-2011, 04:37 PM
RE: Jay Wilson interview - by vor_lord - 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM