Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide
*hoping double-posts are acceptable if days passed and subject changes...*

So, I have come across an issue, which I think relates to this topic.

I installed all (known) fully-released versions of Diablo, including all versions of Diablo Spawn, for Windows, except I have run into a problem with the following patches, which were downloaded from Blizzard's own FTP site (through archive.org/web):
- 1.02 (dtrl102.exe - 341 KB);
- 1.03 (dtrl103.exe - 534 KB);
- 1.04 (dtrl104.exe - 540 KB).

I should perhaps mention I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit. I also am always applying these patches on a fresh, clean install of Vanilla Diablo (AKA Diablo v1.00). The Diablo CD is also always inserted into the computer.

This is what I see when running dtrl102.exe (after the patch file copies itself into the target directory, where Diablo is installed):
[Image: STy0f10.png]
I noticed the file exists in the CD, although the file name is fully in caps. I figure the problem could be related to my Diablo CD being too "modern"? (It's a distribution that, by running SETUP.EXE instead of AUTORUN.EXE, installs Diablo v1.08.)
Could that be the reason? And what could be the solution? To somehow find and download a pre-patched Diablo.exe file with v1.02 installed somewhere online? (That too assuming only the executable file is affected by the patch.)

Finally, this is what I see when running either dtrl103.exe or dtrl104.exe:
[Image: 2W4ThzK.png]
Click on "OK", and the box reappears. Click on "Cancel", and you get "Diablo was not updated.".
Again, I'm not sure whether or not this issue could be related to my Diablo CD being "too new", but I consider the possibility, assuming it can't find the Diablo CD because it can't find THE Diablo CD it is looking for. I'm not sure what other explanation there could be...

Incidentally, those 3 update files are 3 times smaller than all their future counterparts (from version 1.05 up to 1.09b).

Any help, ideas or tips? Anything at all is very much appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by Ange1Rob0t - 09-07-2013, 09:38 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by CaptainSassyPants - 02-12-2014, 02:10 AM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by VD99 - 03-11-2014, 06:11 AM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 06:15 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by GL_ - 06-21-2014, 06:32 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by MASSSN - 03-15-2015, 07:04 PM
RE: Diablo Backwards Compatibility Guide - by Red Hairdo - 11-15-2016, 10:41 PM