Please help a newbie...
Pete,Apr 18 2003, 04:08 PM Wrote:Now, your answer is "both", and I agree with you for the reasons you give.  But that isn't really an answer to the question asked, now is it? ;)
With my post I intended to show the reasons why the MP experience was better than SP overall.

1. Tougher monsters in MP
In CD Normal difficulty, SP monsters have half the number of Hit Points from the equivalent MP monsters. In Classic Hellfire that rate is equal for the new monsters in all difficulties

2. Ability to purchase jewelry in SP
You can that way theoratically get a very effective setup without any need of item runs and instead massive shopping. Purchasing prefixed Zodiac jewelry will be easier than acquiring them in Laz runs.

3. No need for item recoveries
Saving the game often is your backup. No inventory slots needed for alternative setups. An item recovery is IMHO a very rewarding experience which can't be simulated in SP.

4. The "Quests" factor
So, I have pointed out three reasons to make the SP experience easier than the MP experience. The quests are another factor that can unbalance the game. A mlvl 25 Unique Monster on late cats ( Zhar ) may grant another ability for a middle aged character long before it hits Hell. Other examples would include Leo's Quest Item that has higher average lifesteal and AC to its only MP equivalent ( Helm of Sprits ).

Still, having pointed out all those reasons, why would be the point of playing in Single Player if the best challenge and emotional co-oping experience is in MP? The same factor I listed as 4.

Alternative and aditional dungeon layouts for the (sub)Quests ( Poisoned Water, Halls of the Blind, Laz's Chamber ) add an interesting aspect for the game and also help with the game atmosphere itself, granting more details to the background story.

Conclusion: Overall, MP > SP, yes. Still, it is very interesting to experience each one of the SP quests. If my first answer was contradictory for you, I am sincerely sorry and hope I have corrected this time.

Edit: Small glitch concerning HF
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"

Messages In This Thread
Please help a newbie... - by Charred_Scar - 04-15-2003, 01:26 PM
Please help a newbie... - by Yogi_Baar - 04-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Please help a newbie... - by --Pete - 04-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Please help a newbie... - by Thecla - 04-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Please help a newbie... - by Bolty - 04-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Please help a newbie... - by Thecla - 04-17-2003, 07:26 AM
Please help a newbie... - by SteinHerz - 04-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Please help a newbie... - by --Pete - 04-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Please help a newbie... - by SteinHerz - 04-19-2003, 12:55 AM
Please help a newbie... - by --Pete - 04-19-2003, 02:34 AM